Respected Contributor

Bumping to say how nice this silverware is. Forks are the most important piece to my husband, he's a big guy and doesn't like small utensils. The Bellevue pattern are larger than my R&B by a 1/4'' only, but it weighs 10 grams more. So we're all impressed.

I'm going to guess the set they sell to Q are cheaper as the name is stamped on the back, not pressed in like every other piece of silverware I've ever seen.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

18/10 doesn't mean what it used to now that most of it is made offshore. Last summer I purchased a set of R&B 18/10, made in China, which began to rust within 3 months, returned it and purchased on-line from Liberty Tabletop, made in America. More expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. I bet Lenox is made in China or Vietnam and no better than the R&B junk.

Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 4/2/2014 Orchids4me said:

I know Costco has had an 18/10 silverware service for 12 for $90. Can't remember if it was Lennox or not.

I had the TSV (the Brentwood pattern) in and out of my cart all day. Something made me hold out because I knew I could find a better deal at Costco. I also didn't need things like sporks and iced tea spoons, and I really didn't need steak knives either.

Yesterday we were at Costco and I found exactly what I was looking for. It's Reed and Barton (Crescendo pattern) and it was at a reduced price of $69 for a service for 12. It has just the pieces I need plus a 5 piece hostess set, and the pattern blends perfectly with another Reed and Barton set I already have. (I like to mix flatware so I like it to coordinate.)

Forgot to mention; it's 18/10.

The TSV was beautiful if you want all those pieces, but I didn't need them. Glad I waited.

I bought the same R&B flatware at Costco last summer, watch for rust on the knives and staining on the other pieces. It happened to me within 3 months. It's made in China.

Respected Contributor
On 4/4/2014 leeni said:

I've been researching flatware companies because I am in the market for a new set of 18/10. What I've found is the following:

The "big name" flatware makers of former years, i.e. oneida, reed and barton, lenox, wallace etc were of better quality and previously made in the USA. The majors have all since moved production overseas and much has been written on the net about their decline in quality, even for replacement items. Recently, a company in upsate NY purchased the old oneida plant and began producing flatware, under the name Liberty, Sherrill manufacturing. The patterns are striking and the quality is supposedly excellent. It is supposedly made in small runs several times a year. The plant employees 25-50 locals. But it is pricier than other korean (and other) made flatware.

Frankly, I was annoyed at the marketing for Lenox, "American Designed" and after further research believe it to be borderline deceptive. It may very well be the china and flatware used in the White House, at state dinners, but I bet it was purchased when the company was still producing in the USA. What's so special about the design being done in the US? In my opinion, it's the manufacturing that makes the difference!

leeni, it was someone on these boards who recommended Liberty to me when I was looking for flatware and I'm completely satisfied with the product. Mine was $350. for a 12 pc. set, but so worth it after the terrible quality of the junk now made in China by once reputable companies.

Respected Contributor
On 4/10/2014 Tyak said:

18/10 doesn't mean what it used to now that most of it is made offshore. Last summer I purchased a set of R&B 18/10, made in China, which began to rust within 3 months, returned it and purchased on-line from Liberty Tabletop, made in America. More expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. I bet Lenox is made in China or Vietnam and no better than the R&B junk.

LOL, I don't believe it for a minute actually. 18/10 is still 18/10

R&B has a limited 25 year warranty, you don't get that with junk. I know people want everything in Asia to be junk, and no doubt much of it is, but there is also high quality stuff that American companies stand behind. The same goes with MIA stuff, it's not all the greatest thing made. No matter what I buy it's still employing Americans, the people at the docks, the ups/fedex, etc, the people at the store, and many others.

~~
Respected Contributor

As I mentioned before Reed & Barton is over 20 years old and is stamped Made in China, so I don't know when it was ever MIA.

~~
Respected Contributor
On 4/10/2014 debc said:
On 4/10/2014 Tyak said:

LOL, I don't believe it for a minute actually. 18/10 is still 18/10

R&B has a limited 25 year warranty, you don't get that with junk. I know people want everything in Asia to be junk, and no doubt much of it is, but there is also high quality stuff that American companies stand behind. The same goes with MIA stuff, it's not all the greatest thing made. No matter what I buy it's still employing Americans, the people at the docks, the ups/fedex, etc, the people at the store, and many others.

Believe what you will but for me, the thought of knives with big rust spots on them cutting into food that goes into my mouth didn't exactly do it for me. The R&B I bought was junk. And by the way, not everything made in Asia is junk and I never said it was. I drive a car made in Japan.

Honored Contributor
On 4/10/2014 Tyak said:
On 4/7/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 4/2/2014 Orchids4me said:

I know Costco has had an 18/10 silverware service for 12 for $90. Can't remember if it was Lennox or not.

I had the TSV (the Brentwood pattern) in and out of my cart all day. Something made me hold out because I knew I could find a better deal at Costco. I also didn't need things like sporks and iced tea spoons, and I really didn't need steak knives either.

Yesterday we were at Costco and I found exactly what I was looking for. It's Reed and Barton (Crescendo pattern) and it was at a reduced price of $69 for a service for 12. It has just the pieces I need plus a 5 piece hostess set, and the pattern blends perfectly with another Reed and Barton set I already have. (I like to mix flatware so I like it to coordinate.)

Forgot to mention; it's 18/10.

The TSV was beautiful if you want all those pieces, but I didn't need them. Glad I waited.

I bought the same R&B flatware at Costco last summer, watch for rust on the knives and staining on the other pieces. It happened to me within 3 months. It's made in China.

Fortunately, Costco has a very liberal return policy. I can probably return it at any time if I have a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Respected Contributor

Not to mention the company 25 year warranty.

~~
Honored Contributor
On 4/10/2014 debc said:

Not to mention the company 25 year warranty.

Yes, that too. Smile