Honored Contributor

Good idea, RHW! Even though the LC stoneware is made in Southeast Asia, the quality is infinitely better than this stuff QVC sells!

I also have some American-made Fiesta bakeware that is also a zillion times better quality, and older (borosilicate glass) Pyrex and Corning Ware. The old Pyroceram Corning Ware (I have French White and French Black) is, unless you drop it on a tile floor (argh - BTDT!), just the best.

Contributor
I have always wanted an LC Dutch oven but the price kept me away. Instead, I bought an enameled cast iron Dutch oven made by Lodge. It was about $65 at Kohls. Do you LC owners think the LC is really that much better?
Respected Contributor
Happy, that's a good question. Le Creuset cast iron pieces are made in France. They may weigh more and have thicker porcelain? Hope someone can answer. But let me ask, do you like the way it cooks? If so, then that's what counts.Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor
On 10/5/2014 HappyVal said: I have always wanted an LC Dutch oven but the price kept me away. Instead, I bought an enameled cast iron Dutch oven made by Lodge. It was about $65 at Kohls. Do you LC owners think the LC is really that much better?

I love Lodge for their regular (nekkid) cast iron. But for enameled cast iron I'd stick with LC. Lodge enameled cast iron line is made in China and there have been several Chinese-made lines of enameled cast iron that were recalled for cracking and explosively releasing the enamel from the cast iron. For that reason, I stay away from Chinese-made for this sort of thing. Maybe Lodge makes theirs better than other lines (I can't help wondering if a lot of these are made by the same factory). I really do hope so. But, as a standard, Chinese-made enameled cast iron and stoneware are generally of inferior quality.

Contributor
Thanks for the replies! I didn't know that Lodge was made in China. I just assumed they were made here in Tennessee. I do like the way it cooks. Even heat distribution, easy to keep clean, great for slow cooking. I did notice that the bottom is not flat like LC. It is somewhat rounded at the bottom edge, which means it doesn't make full contact with the heat source. I've learned to work with that.
Super Contributor
Chickenbutt and HappyVal....I just got into cast iron cooking and have been reading a LOT about it. I recently visited a Lodge outlet in Gatlinburg TN. Lodge cast iron is made in the USA - - in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. In fact, Lodge is the only manufacturer of cast iron left in the States, as every other manufacturer has gone out of business. They have a wonderful website with videos and product information if you are interested. They are also on Facebook. That's where I learned so much about this wonderful American made product. The enamel coated cookware is applied in China, but the cast iron is made exclusively here in the good old USA. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I have a small Martha Stewart brand knock off (prob made in China) and it chips so easily even tho I am very careful with it so that is enough not to want anymore especially Le Cres with its ridiculous price per each. Agree with not buying anything from China----hard to do tho----

Super Contributor
On 10/7/2014 wagirl said:

I have a small Martha Stewart brand knock off (prob made in China) and it chips so easily even tho I am very careful with it so that is enough not to want anymore especially Le Cres with its ridiculous price per each. Agree with not buying anything from China----hard to do tho----

Check out Lodge - - made in the USA!!! Smiley Very Happy