Respected Contributor

A quick question for any of you who cook with LC cookware, since today is a free shipping day.  I have a LC chef's oven that hold about 6 quarts.  It's pretty good for most things, but if you want to roast a chicken or beef or pork roasts with any decent amount of vegetables, you run out of room.  There is a 7+ quart dutch oven that the Q sells, the item title says 7.25, the text says 7.5.  The diameter is about an inch smaller than my current chef's oven, but it gains capacity because it has straight sides.   My question any of you who use cast iron is this: does that additional quart or so of capacity make enough difference to what you can cook to justify donating my old piece and spending over $300 for that extra capacity?  Thanks for any experience or opinion you care to share!

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

A quick question for any of you who cook with LC cookware, since today is a free shipping day.  I have a LC chef's oven that hold about 6 quarts.  It's pretty good for most things, but if you want to roast a chicken or beef or pork roasts with any decent amount of vegetables, you run out of room.  There is a 7+ quart dutch oven that the Q sells, the item title says 7.25, the text says 7.5.  The diameter is about an inch smaller than my current chef's oven, but it gains capacity because it has straight sides.   My question any of you who use cast iron is this: does that additional quart or so of capacity make enough difference to what you can cook to justify donating my old piece and spending over $300 for that extra capacity?  Thanks for any experience or opinion you care to share!

I wouldn't get rid of an old LeC piece,  

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP 

i do not own LC but own 2 pieces of Staub - 3.75 and 5.qt

you want a distinct difference between the 2 sizes and do NOT get rid of ur older piece

does it come ina 8 quart?

Honored Contributor

this might not be for everyone, 

I have been going to estate sales and there can be some good kitchen stuff there

older excellent quality pieces, made in USA 

you might find a good LeC piece

I am looking for a quality roasting pan for my daughter, she is into US-made things 

Honored Contributor

Take 2 men and a boy to handle it.

Honored Contributor

If you read the Le Creuset recipe books, you are supposed to cook with them pretty full.  Things cook better that way.  I highly recommend one of their The Way to Cook books!  

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

@CamilleP   I would keep the older piece of LC if you purchase the new one.  You will find a use for it I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

Re: Le Creuset dutch ovens

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

If you read the Le Creuset recipe books, you are supposed to cook with them pretty full.  Things cook better that way.  I highly recommend one of their The Way to Cook books!  

This is a good point. I've noticed that my 5 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven works best when it's fuller. The cast iron heats so well, it seems to cook hotter/faster than a ceramic oven dish. If it's not around 2/3 full or more, food can dry out or overcook. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

This is a good point. I've noticed that my 5 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven works best when it's fuller. The cast iron heats so well, it seems to cook hotter/faster than a ceramic oven dish. If it's not around 2/3 full or more, food can dry out or overcook. 

@peachesncream And not turning up the heat too high is something that I had to get used to way back when!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Well, in a 1975 kitchen, I am chock-full, so if a new piece comes in, an old piece has to go, alas.  But based on Sooner's reminder, I am going to keep the smaller pot and cook in it, even if it gets pretty full.  Thanks, @jackthebear !