Honored Contributor

If you have problems with food sticking, it is probably because you have the heat too high.  Le Creuset cookware does NOT need high heat to cook.

If you read how to cook in it it will help you out a lot and you will learn a lot about how to cook in it. 

From Le Creuset web site go to the customer service section, then click on care and use and read that information for cast iron.  It's great tips on how to use it without burning or sticking--and other things.

Trusted Contributor

I agree! I've never used high heat, always low to medium. I've taught all my kids the same and they've never had a problem, same with cleaning- it's been easy for each of us. 

Reading their booklet, website, watch online videos helps tremendously. There's loads of help on this forum as well, as proof by these very helpful posters!

I'm always learning something.

HeartCat Very HappyHeart

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

Le Crueset is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.

Honored Contributor

@layla2450 wrote:

Le Crueset is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.

@layla2450 I consider mine a joy to cook with and I love the way they look.  I bought my first piece in 1992, still have it and still love it! And it is still in great shape.  Better than me. 

For the use I've gotten and the food it has cooked, a wise choice.  And like a lot of other expensive things, it is a treat or you can shop around for a bargain or save up and get what you'd love to have. 

Respected Contributor

I was hoping it might be the "cast iron square cocotte with lid".....selling for 200.00, free shipping on LC site...4 easy pays 50.00...

I have plenty of round and oval pieces, as well as a bread oven. This square piece is interesting....but I think I have enough...

I already have the braiser from a TSV years ago with a glass lid....I replaced that infomercial vented glass lid with a cast iron lid from E-Bay....a vented lid on Le Creuset defeats the whole purpose of keeping the steam IN the vessel while food cooks....they were trying to make it a spagetti pot, because that's about all people know how to "cook" today.

I agree that I NEVER have problems with sticking or cleaning any of my LC with the sand color interior...the black interior is a whole nother story.

Another case of LC trying to appease the "non-stick" crowd, and it really is inferior, in my opinion. I won't order any more black interiors on LC.

And no more "grill pans" or grill pan lids!!! Gimmicks.

Sand color interior...my MOST used piece is the QVC TSV from a few years ago...the cassadou. That was also sold with that cheap glass lid...which I promptly replaced with proper cast iron lid from Ebay!!!

I bet the inventors of LC roll over in their graves when they hear about those glass lids!!

I heard one of the hosts...it MAY have been David V...remark that they would not be selling any glass lidded LC vessels in 2023. The word must've gotten out.

I do wish they'd sell the Signature line, but the Classic will do for me since I'm not a professional cook, and I take good care of my pots!!!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Le Creuset TSV

[ Edited ]

I agree with all those who have posted that you must LEARN how to cook with LC.   Just take a little bit of time to read and learn.  Also, Nat from LC, always emphasizes because of the cast iron, you do not need to cook on a higher heat.  You just need to allow the LC to heat up on low/medium heat.  Particularly for browning meat, I use Grapeseed Oil in my LC as it has a high smoke point.  I would not recommend using Olive Oil because that has a low smoke point.

Regular Contributor

I'm a big fan of Le Creuset.  In fact, I have a full set that my husband bought me for my first mother's day.  That was 53 years ago and it's still going strong.

However, I've discovered that LODGE is a great imitator and I have several pieces of their cast iron including the Today's Special Value.

It's less than 1/2 the price and I can't really see a difference in the cooking process.

Respected Contributor

I love Le Creuset cookware. If I was just starting out, I'd definitely buy an entire set knowing they'd last forever. A friend has a set and even grits won't stick in hers. I think the prices are high but, when you consider it a lifetime purchase, it's not so bad. Definitely do not cook on high heat, you don't need it with cast iron. The only reason I am glad I didn't purchase these when I was just starting out is that, with my arthritic wrists, I would not be able to handle the weight now.

Respected Contributor

Respectfully pass. I really don't understand how this super heavy, difficult to wash (and tends to stick and stain) and is very expensive cookware can be superior to other brands such as Curtis Stone. That brand is light and easy to handle, is always non-stick, cooks anything beautifully and is both stovetop and oven-safe, and is reasonably priced...  Its personal preference, but why do you guys prefer LC? Just wondering!?  

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 

It IS personal preference...for me, that means moving totally away from spray on who knows what it's made of "non stick" surfaces that ALL break down eventually.

And most non stick is applied onto cheap cookware that ultimately bends or warps. The handles become loose and wobbly. They are cheaply made, for a broad audience who, frankly, can not afford better cookware or understand the quality of the surfaces they are cooking on.

Or,they don't really enjoy the pleasure of cooking...more throw it in, fry it up, eat it and dump the pan in the dishwasher and on to social media.

Curtis Stone's stuff is made in China. As is MOST non stick cookware. I'm sure there are measures to assure quality, but I like cooking on glass.

Google "sand enamel" on LC to see how its made and what it's made of. The enamel is NOT a spray on chemical laden surface. It's glass enamel. Non reactive, super easy to clean and keep looking like new IF you cook on it correctly.

Plus, France has some of the highest food safety regulations anywhere. I'm not so sure of China. Are you?

Note: Lodge enamelled cast iron is also made in China. Thier black regular cast is made here.

I have moved to all Le Creuset and use it every day. It cooks well, cleans like a dream, and if it gets that patina from use, a little Barkeeps Friend brings it right back. I have never burnt anything to the pot that would not release with a little boiling water on top of the stove.

I like Le Creuset because I love to cook. I enjoy the physical act of selecting, preparing, cooking, and enjoying my food. I only eat what I make...no more processed junk ever.

I used to live on the same dreck that most of society lives on today...I changed totally when I retired and now have blessed time to enjoy the process. 

Plus...the colors are pretty!! My pots, in amongst plants on the windowsill, make it look like a French kitchen!! I can pretend...can't I?

And I can afford it. I saved my entire life for retirement, have no kids to deprive of an education or have to buy a wedding for, no spouse -BTDT ( I LIKE it that way!!!!!)...don't buy jewelry or expensive gimmicky makeup products.

During Covid I took up cooking more seriously, plus I realize that life is short, and for me, enjoying substantial well made cookware is my guilty pleasure. 

I DO have a set of Curtis Stone frying pans. Two have never been used, because the one has held up. I even used it on a little campfire once to cook a steak!!! I burned the bottom pretty bad, but the non stick is intact to this day!

I DO agree that of all the nonstick I've bought in my lifetime, and it's a ton, his surface IS the most durable and long lasting.

The pot itself? Not so much. Handle jiggles (loose) and even before the campfire, the outside stains pretty bad. It no longer sits flat on the burner.

I use the smallest CS pan for fried eggs only, which I don't really eat that often. The handle jiggles, but it's good enough for  fried eggs. LC is NOT really made for fried eggs.

Everything else I prepare and cook in my Le Creuset. EVERY day.!!!

To each his own. LC is my guilty pleasure!!! 

My only fear is that when I die, as I have only one sister who doesn't know what the kitchen is for, will  surely put all my pieces in a yard sale for 10.00 each to expedite clearing my estate.!!!!

We live 400 miles apart, so she'll want to hurry it up. I have told her of my collection, but her eyes glaze over. You have to understand to understand!!!

She's into horses (..NO WAY!!!!!!)....Like I say...to each their own!!!

Note on today's TSV: the lid for this one will fit the former LC braiser TSV with that horrible sacriligious vented glass lid ...so if you want TWO braisers, buy one today that will compliment the one you have.

I mix and match lids because I tossed all those glass lids and bought cast iron lids on Ebay. Sometimes you have to take the color that will fit that you find. The lid will be the number size on the bottom of the pan.

It's a number 30 lid.

Also....todays lid is domed, which is really nice change from the usual flat lids they put on these vessels.   

Cheers!!! And if you buy, prepare and cook your own REAL food, you're SO far ahead healthwise....and that's what's really important !!!