Honored Contributor

I love that color! But would never spend that kind of money for cookware--too heavy for me also.

Honored Contributor

Also, at 10 inches wide it isn't a big one.  The 4 1/2 qt. size is one of their smaller pots.  The bigger ones, able to make a decent sized batch of chili or soup for four or more people, start with the 5 1/2 quart size and a lot of people with families like the 6 1/2.

Just saying measure and think about the size before you jump on it.  

Trusted Contributor

I took the plunge and ordered the Oyster.  This size I will be able to use almost every day.  I haven't minded my other pan which has the handles on the side.  I find it is easy for venting so thats not an issue for me.

Valued Contributor

Amazes me - that so many on this board complain about the price of clothing but its ok to charge $230 for one piece of cast iron cookware.  Just sayin.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble if they ordered this, but I would really caution against it.  I have a traditional LC Dutch oven with the knob on the lid.  Lifting it out of the oven is tricky - it's very heavy when full.  When it comes out of the oven it is screaming hot and it's precarious enough to lift the lid with the knob - I'd be very wary about lifting a scorching hot lid with the side handles. If you're in the market for a LC Dutch oven, I highly recommend them, but I would stick with the traditional lid for safety reasons.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Le Creuset TSV March 6

[ Edited ]

@LexaMom wrote:

Amazes me - that so many on this board complain about the price of clothing but its ok to charge $230 for one piece of cast iron cookware.  Just sayin.

When you consider that these vessels are lifetime investments, the price is not outrageous.  My kids are already arguing about who gets them when I "no longer need them". 

I ordered my first one with skepticism, but it turned out to be a game changer.  Everything I cook is better because I have these incredible tools.  I have only three sizes - the large DO, a smaller DO and a skillet. I've given away just about everything else I'd accumulated over the years.  The three LC vessels I own do the work of all the others, and with better results.

When I find a clothing garment that will last a lifetime, make me look fabulous and allow me to eliminate the rest of my wardrobe, I'll pay $230 for it.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I have a whole set of cast-iron pots/pans made by Lodge, many of them enamel covered, as pretty as Le Creuset and I expect them to last a very long time as well.   I just don't get the popularity of Le Creuset given the price.  

Contributor

I have a Staub 4 qt that was made exclusively for QVC many years ago. It is my most used pot and I have over 70 LeCreuset and Staub. It is the perfect size for so much of what I cook in cast iron. I align the handles when I'm lifting; but, when I want to remove the lid I just turn it so the handles are easy to separate. It has never stopped me from using it safely.

I couldn't resist the tsv in pure white today. All the color choices are amazing.

fullsizeoutput_79a.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Le Creuset TSV March 6

[ Edited ]

@Wildgreens 

wow -70 pieces -  that is a lot of cast iron -

is your kitchen also your gym - lifitng weights lol

your handles are not flushed as the TSV so it is probably a bit easier to lift apart.

I'm not in the market for one - but for everyone that is - enjoy!

Contributor

I like the new emerald green, but I collect palm green. I just prefer its brightness. But since this TSV isn't offered in palm, the choice to pass is easy for me.