Honored Contributor

Le Creuset Skillet Grill 12"

I noticed these have some bad reviews so I'm offering some hints.  Cook meats at medium heat and let the pan heat up first then add oil and brush over the bottom before putting the meat in.

After you take the meat out, immediately pour hot water in the skillet and let it sit until clean up later.  

We use ours all time to sear steaks then put them in the oven to finish.  And the skillet makes wonderful cornbead-- we pre-heat it then oil or grease the bottom well, and you will get an oven browned crust that is great!

Just in case you have one, do try cornbead!  The little ridges are a bonus!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Le Creuset Skillet Grill 12"

What a great idea for cornbread.
Thanks!
Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Thanks for the tips....I have one of those pans and I was not thrilled with the results I got in it...so much so, I never order Le Creuset that has that dark interior coating...I just didn't think LC got that coating right.

The light enamelled coating is superb for cooking and my favorite way and vessels to use. I have all shapes and sizes and hope the TSV is one I'll want to add to my collection.

I get different colors....

I like Staub too...and thier dark interior coating are excellent.

I may have heated up that grill pan too hot. Will try again on less heat, when I unpack it for the summer use. I was using it outside at time ( not always) on an open fire, and it did stick horribly, but the food was excellent. I just soaked it and used the hose and a bucket of hot soapy water to clean it up so the mess was outside!!!!

On another note...I hope IF this week's TSV from LC has a lid, it's cast iron and NOT that cheap glass, which reallly  negates the purpose of using a cast iron vessel to cook in.

The glass lids are also vented....for YEARS LC's claim to fame was keeping the moisture IN the vessel while it cooked, so that makes no sense.

I got some LC items with glass lids, and promptly ordered the correct cast iron lids off E-bay. You order the lid based on the number stamped on the bottom of your vessel, and if it's round or oval.

I was lucky. I got perfect lids. BUT...they are different colors than the pots themselves!!! But that's OK....they just cook so much better than that cheap glass lid!!!

If you decide to buy a cast iron lid for your LC, read up on chipped or scratches in cast iron that cannot be repaired. THere are lids on E-bay that have chips...a little cheaper, but I'd stay away.

I see why LC, and now Staub, are going to those cheap glass lids.... the lids alone on E-bay are 50-100 dollars. So it adds to the cost substantially.

Glass lids are light, and OK for what they can be used for. But in MY opinion, if you use a glass vented lid on a cast iron vessel, you might as well just use a stainless steel pot and be done with it.

O yes. PLEASE QVC ....Signature line ....the Classic line is the OLD line of Le Creuset. Please don't try to pass that off on customers without telling them it's what you're getting.

( The Classic line is OK, but the loop handles are smaller, and allegedly, the interior enamel is lesser quality than the newer Signature line. You can see the comparison on You Tube Video called Le Creuset Classic vs. SIgnature line.)

OK rant over!!!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen Nice to "chat" with another LC user!  I learned from their recipe books that the basic ovens cook much better if nearly full.  I learned that if any pot has too little food in it it doesn't cook as well.  

Also, I learned about heat and that cast iron really doesn't need high high heat. . . so that helps.  And for us, the hot water immediately when food comes out then soak until pan is cooled at least does help worlds in getting food out.

Some of my LC pieces go back 20 years, bought at their outlet in South Carolina, and also a collection of All-Clad starting back in 1992.  We used to use almost all stainess in our cooking, now we use almost all LC, mostly now the smaller sizes like the 3.5 quart and the smaller soup pots.  

Isn't it nice to have something so pretty and so good to cook in?????   Thanks for your tips!  I appreciate it and fun to share what we've learned!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Funny!!!...My other cooking fave is All Clad too!!!

I love to cook, and I just wish I had someone to cook for.....I'm SO gald my Mom taught us how to cook....!!!

I don't "need" any more cooking pots, and I know the LC can be bought elsewhere online, but if the price is right, I may buy as long as it's NOT a grill or grill top lid!!!

I get hooked in so easily when I see all those colors lined up and David V. going gaga over them!!!!