Honored Contributor

I learned from someone who is very mindful of their diet that the Costco lamb is slaughtered by the rules of Halal. They even wrote to Costco to verify and got this reply -

"There are as many as 12 plants in Australia which we source our fresh lamb from and they are all Halal certified. "

I never researched Halal and did not know what it was. I am sorry I found out.

The controversial method of slaughter by slitting an animal's jugular so that death occurs by "bleeding out" is often done without first stunning the animal. Halal certification commissions have declared that cutting the jugular of an unconscious animal yields meat that is haram (unlawful or not permissible) according to sharia-based regulations. These halal oversight committees in places like Britain now forbid stunning before halal slaughter.

OH MY - I did not know that.

Trusted Contributor

First, it is never wise to simply take the word of a friend of a friend. Secondly, it is important to attempt to research the matter yourself before posting.

Yes, the lamb is slaughtered in a halal plant -- as if almost all Australian-raised lamb and most beef. Australia is a big exporter of halal meat, and the government has strict regulations in place. In Australia, the animals are stunned prior to slaughter.

I do not understand the complaints, though. Are you bothered by kosher meat as well?

Trusted Contributor

Thanks KYToby. I happen to keep kosher, and wish Costco's meat was slaughtered kosher, unfortunately Halal is a bit different.