Honored Contributor

Ladies' Luncheon Menus Please

I host a lucheon for my closest coworker friends, just before school resumes every year.  This year the date is set for July 31st.  There are usually 6-8 of us around the table.

If you were hosting such a gathering, what would be on your menu?

Please start with appetizers and end with dessert.

Thank you in advance for your responses.  

I'm very much looking forward to reading them.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ladies' Luncheon Menus Please

I a hosting a small luncheon for five women a couple of weeks before you are. My menu: grilled chicken topped with baby arugula light balsamic vinaigrette and shaved Parmesan, gnocchi with green beans, sauteed grape tomatoes with shallots in olive oil, fresh rolls and butter, iced lemon cake with berries for dessert. The usual tea, iced tea and coffee. All items will be homemade.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I a hosting a small luncheon for five women a couple of weeks before you are. My menu: grilled chicken topped with baby arugula light balsamic vinaigrette and shaved Parmesan, gnocchi with green beans, sauteed grape tomatoes with shallots in olive oil, fresh rolls and butter, iced lemon cake with berries for dessert. The usual tea, iced tea and coffee. All items will be homemade.

Wow that sounds delicious, you guests are lucky 🍀 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@queendiva

What a beautiful menu!  Is there an extra seat for me?!

My heritage is Italian American, but since my parents have passed, I rarely cook it anymore.  I was actually thinking of making the menu Italian this time. The gnocchi is especially appealing - I haven't made it in years.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put this menu together, thinking of the ease for you as the hostess. It's uncanny how similar it is to @queendiva's.  

Here would be my menu:

Appetizer: Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta
   I have neither eaten nor made these, but, it’s Ina Garten. She wouldn’t steer you wrong.

Entrée:  Tortellini Caesar Salad a delicious salad shared by Carol1229 some time ago.

Wine: Chardonnay

Dessert: Cassata alla Siciliana   

This is a pound cake, split and filled with an amaretto-ricotta mixture and covered with a chocolate frosting.  I'll be happy to post the recipe in the Recipes forum if you're interested. 

Edited to fix a typo.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

How about melon with prosciutto wrapped around it, avocado stuffed with seafood salad (bought or homemade) lasagna, always a hit! You can make lasagna either regular Or meatless with vegetables. How about a cold pasta salad, mini meatballs, pigs in a blanket, etc.. Enjoy!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat: I will buy good quality frozen gnocchi at my local Italian "pro shop" .

The luncheon is for some of the Italian women in my family.

Honored Contributor

Yum!

You ladies are making me hungry!!

I love the ideas, and yes, @IamMrsG.. I'd love to have that recipe.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

appetizers......guacamole and salsa with chips, vegetable dip and crudite, deviled eggs,  nuts, and some type of seafood (steamed shrimp, shrimp cocktail, crab dip) are always appropriate for this time of the year.

food......shrimp salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, green salad, cobb salad, nutty berry salad.......breads/rolls, chips, fruit salad, possibly a soup that you can make ahead (broccoli cheese or spinach?)

dessert........some type of a pie, bite sized desserts, vanilla ice cream.

drinks......maybe a sangria or a few choices in wines or beer?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

I don't know what I'd seve for an appetizer but I know what I'd serve for the luncheon, courtesy of a food blog I read regulary.

Mounds of Chicken Salad on a lettuce lined platter.

A congealed Orange Jello Salad.

Crudite and Ranch dip.

Croissants.

For dessert, a slice of cold Lemonade Pie (I put this in the freezer and remove it a couple of hours before serving.)

To wash it all down, a refreshing pitcher of Fruit Tea.