Esteemed Contributor

LOST IN GADGET COUNTRY: GRILL VS. FLIP OVEN

Which Ninja Foodi do you find more useful:  the grill or the flip-oven?  They both seem to do most of the same things.

With all the "gadgets" (I mean that in a nice way) available today, I'm wondering what, if any, is more useful.  So, I'm wondering what you prefer, either or, or both, and why!

Trusted Contributor

Re: LOST IN GADGET COUNTRY: GRILL VS. FLIP OVEN

we have both and use them a lot. the flip oven doesn't grill, hence, the foodi grill. 

Respected Contributor

As I see it, the main selling point of the flip oven is the space saving factor.  You give up cooking space for counter space.

I have the square shaped Foodie, the deeper one that allows more food room for air frying and baking and it has been a work horse. I can toss wings or fries or whatever in then stir them around rather than place them so they fit flat.

My current "lost in gadget country" is finding the one that will sous vide without breaking the bank (Anova oven at over $500) or a replacement Foodi pressure cooker that has the sous vide option for half that cost.  But I have two pressure cookers and an Anova sous vide stick which makes it all feel frivilous to want new.  That said, setting up the stick is a pain as the pot is in storage.  And my current Foodie pressure cooker is 8 qt, too large for the two of us.

We do have our struggles with these decisions.  I think unless you have serious space considerations, and unless you plan on cooking mostly very flat foods, go for a deeper oven.

The Foodi company keeps coming out with new and improved.  $$$

Honored Contributor

I already have a nice countertop convection oven and it is more versatile as to the amount and types of food it will accommodate.  I also have the older model Ninja Foodi grill.  I don't have room for the newer model which is one reason I chose the older one even though the newer one was available.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be, my Instant Pot has a sous vide function - it's just a normal size.  I haven't used that function,  but something to consider.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme  That's a thought although I also own a regular Instant Pot so this buying better feels so indulgent.  I was trying to explain this want to my DH who said he'd get out the large pot I used for sous vide stick cooking and fill it with water for $20.  Smarty pants.

What I have learned is do not buy what is new on the market.  Better will follow in multiples in about 2 -3 years.

I can't imagine how they'll improve this TSV model without sacrificing space.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We own both. I use the grill a lot, the oven not so much so it's put away. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Breville counter top oven and an Instant Pot airfryer----love them both and use them both for the things they do the best--was considering the fold up Ninja but I like more vertical space so I can stack things to cook. and am wondering---when the thing is flipped up, where do the crumbs and loose stuff go?  Like the grill that HSN had on awhile ago too--that would do for my needs--but didn't buy that either. My machines  are doing fine for now so will wait.