Respected Contributor

I keep dog food in a kingford charcoal container.   I dump it out and will continue to.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Re: L&L for pet food storage

[ Edited ]

TY all for your help.

I see  a couple on QVC that will probably work.

JeanLouise what did the research show on the dog food bag thing? The brand I buy for my small dogs that the vet recommended comes in a very heavy duty bag . We do get the occasional mouse in this time of year that refuses to eat the cheese in the trap , those plug in 'scare them away' things do not scare some of the urban thug mice at all , and those creatures can gnaw through bags--have not had any trouble with plastic containers.

chickenderriere (I do not know you well, so will use more formality Smiley Happy ) I did not know about the official site --do they ever offer specials on shipping?--I signed up for e-mails. The container I looked at was $19.95 but the shipping was $10.95!!

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

TY all for your help.

I see  a couple on QVC that will probably work.

JeanLouise what did the research show on the dog food bag thing? The brand I buy for my small dogs that the vet recommended comes in a very heavy duty bag . We do get the occasional mouse in this time of year that refuses to eat the cheese in the trap , those plug in 'scare them away' things do not scare some of the urban thug mice at all , and those creatures can gnaw through bags--have not had any trouble with plastic containers.

chickenderriere (I do not know you well, so will use more formality Smiley Happy ) I did not know about the official site --do they ever offer specials on shipping?--I signed up for e-mails. The container I looked at was $19.95 but the shipping was $10.95!!

@okaywitheasypay  Just do a search on "dry dog food storage".  Various listings confirm that the food should remain in the original bag.   Because we keep our dog food in the garage, I would never trust an opened bag to be safe.  IMO, it's an open invitation to mice.  That's why we've always kept it in a Rubbermaid tote with a secure lid.  I'll still do that, to keep it safe, but will keep the actual food contained in the original bag to preserve all the nutrients.  

Honored Contributor

Okay -  Yes, they do sometimes have deals on shipping and also percent off sales that might help.  

When they first had that website the shipping was much more reasonable and the minimum order for free shipping was much lower.  

You might also find the container you want on Amazon.  I find a lot of single sizes there.   On the locknlockusa site they give the HPL# for the item so it's easy to search using - Lock & Lock HPLxxx  (put item number where the x's are).  Also ebay.

I've even gotten some pieces, on ebay, from sellers in South Korea (where L&L originated) and was surprised how reasonable the shipping cost was and how quickly my orders arrived here.

I leave the food in the bag, and use the Slide and Seal.  Works great, has a handle, easy to grab and store.

Respected Contributor

@katfos wrote:

I leave the food in the bag, and use the Slide and Seal.  Works great, has a handle, easy to grab and store.

I don't use those for dog food but I love them.  I bought some extra large ones from the gripstic site and use them for dirt and other extremely large outdoor bags.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

How about this set of 2 containers.  I use one from this set to store a portion of a 25lb. bag to have it within handy reach.  Usually refill it about 5-6 times.  Don't know how many cups are in your 4.5 lb bag but between the 2 of them with 21 cups each, you might have just enough storage....http://www.qvc.com/Lock-&-Lock-2-piece-Flip-Bin-Storage-Set.product.K39809.html?sc=K39809-SRCH&cm_sp... 

I have this set, and it would definitely hold the 4.5 lb bag of pet food, between the two, with some room to spare, I believe.  This does have the flip top, but I never have any problem with anything (bugs moisture etc.) getting in, and there is a seal around that flip top as well. Now if I was intending to store food (or pet food) in it for many months at a time, I'd probably choose a container without the flip top feature, but if this is the container(s) that you will be feeding out of daily (as opposed to long terms storage in a garage, basement, etc.) then you should be fine. I keep brown sugar in one and powdered sugar in another, and no problems.

Valued Contributor

That's exactly what I do mominohio....I fill one of these from the huge 25lb. bag to keep in the kitchen for daily use....since my dog is just a little guy...about 16 lbs., he only gets about a cup total for a day so one fill of this tub lasts about 2 weeks.  And I leave a 1/2 cup scoop inside  from a measuring cup set that I do not use any more so it's always handy....Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy my cats the 3.15 lb bag of Friskies 7 Flavors and use the cereal Lock N Lock to store the food, but I have to split it up into 2 containers....

K39505

• Includes two 16-1/2-cup cereal keepers
  • 33 cups of total storage
  • Four-hinge locking system
  • Polypropylene construction
  • Freezer- and top-rack dishwasher-safe
  • Approximate measurements: 9-1/2"L x 3-1/2"W x 10"H

I empty the bag into the container and keep it on the floor of my kitchen pantry---use the pour spout and never have had ANY bugs.  Of course between my 2 cats and a couple of feral cats I feed, usually I have to buy a new bag of cat food frequently--Cat LOL I agree with mominohio if you buy a large bag and it takes a while to use maybe the container without the spout is a better choice for that situation.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”