Respected Contributor

Re: Kuhn Rikon can opener. Do/did you have one?

[ Edited ]

Been using mine for several years and don't know how I'd live without it.  Every now and then, I have a momentary problem getting it to latch onto a  can and start opening, but I figure that's my fault and not the product's.  Just try again--I think the angle at which you're holding it might make the difference.

I get it to work 100 percent of the time.--on cans small to large.

Didn't buy mine from QVC..........found it at HomeGoods or Marshall's or TJ Maxx.......don't remember which.

Esteemed Contributor

I have three and I love them. I have two kitchens so I wanted one for each kitchen which I picked up over the years. The third one was the latest one that had the pull tab lift which I use every day. I can't remember how old the first one is but it still works. I have to say that it's the most cost efficient item that I have in my kitchen.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To add one more thing that should have gone into my previous post.........

Those who write negative ads about the product just might not realize when  the can lid is actually cut........sometimes it just won't lift off easily with the little "jaws" on the opener.  Some cans have VERY strong adhesive that requires extra effort to lift off the lid.  The jaws (or pinchers) on the opener will indeed lift off the lid if a little muscle is used to overcome the adhesive.

That's the only thing I can figure out about some of the bad reviews.  Once a user learns the technique, the opener is a gem to have in the kitchen, at least for me.

Valued Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

To add one more thing that should have gone into my previous post.........

Those who write negative ads about the product just might not realize when  the can lid is actually cut........sometimes it just won't lift off easily with the little "jaws" on the opener.  Some cans have VERY strong adhesive that requires extra effort to lift off the lid.  The jaws (or pinchers) on the opener will indeed lift off the lid if a little muscle is used to overcome the adhesive.

That's the only thing I can figure out about some of the bad reviews.  Once a user learns the technique, the opener is a gem to have in the kitchen, at least for me.

This is true.  I'll add another thought.  I've had my opener for about 3-4 years, and I love it.  However, there is one type of can it WON'T open -- canned goods from other countries.  I always buy imported Cento Italian Peeled Tomatoes packed in Italy.  The Italian canning/sealing process is different, and the opener doesn't work on them.  It appears that the "lip" of the can is a touch deeper than U.S. cans, so the opener doesn't grip it sufficiently to cut through the metal.  This happened last night when I tried to open a can of Cento Italian oil-packed tuna-- it didn't work, so I had to use my "old-fashioned" can opener I keep in the gadget drawer for those "just in case" times.  Aside from that, I gave the Kuhn-Ricon opener 4 stars, and I use it on everything else.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one (not a Kuhn Rikon) and I really like it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had one since the first time it aired on QVC!  Love it. Never a problem.  Sometimes it is tricky getting it to latch on and sometimes the adhesive is mighty sticky, but once it goes all the way around it is done.  I use only made in Italy tomatoes including Cento and havent had an issue.

Respected Contributor

I think I ended up replacing one after some years. I certainly like them and won't buy anything else. I don't have an electric opener because the Kuhn Rikon work so well, even for arthritic hands like mine.

Nothing lasts forever, though.