Honored Contributor

Kuhn Rikon can opener. Do/did you have one?

Mine is about 3 years old.  Love it.  Today it did not work.  It just kept jumping off the can.  I tried it on more than one can and more than one type can.  Did you buy one and if so, has yours ever done this and if so, did you trash and buy another?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Kuhn Rikon can opener. Do/did you have one?

I have one and love it, too.  It's in my Florida home and my only problem so far is that every season I have to dig out the directions because I forget how the darn thing works!

Respected Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Mine is about 3 years old.  Love it.  Today it did not work.  It just kept jumping off the can.  I tried it on more than one can and more than one type can.  Did you buy one and if so, has yours ever done this and if so, did you trash and buy another?  

Yes, Yes, and Yes!    I love mine as well!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I have one of the Kuhn Rikon safety-type can openers that I purchased over ten years ago and LOVE it.

The funny thing is that I, as I often do, had purchased a spare in case I cannot get another one like that again (and actually they have changed them - I still like mine better) but I can't find the darn thing.  Smiley Sad

Fortunately, I haven't needed the spare.  But I just figured they last pretty much forever unless somebody breaks it.  Sorry that it's not performing for you now.

There are a LOT of people here who have the various models and will chime in.  They seem to be popular.  It's a good brand.  OXO is another good brand, FYI.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have the Temp-tations version that I believe Kuhn Rikon made for them, and I love it.

I've had so much trouble with manual can openers ever since my old multi decade old one died about 5 years ago. 

This is the first one that has worked for more than a month before giving out, and I really should get some backup ones, as I don't have an electric can opener.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have one and love it.  It does not get much use so hopefully it will outlast me!

Honored Contributor

The only time I had that happen with mine was when I was trying to open one of those #10 cans. I did get it to work. All other cans no issue though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday ..... " jumping off the can" ..... were you trying to open a can of Mexican Jumping Beans!!!!! lol 😄😄

Respected Contributor

I have the Good Cook (manual) can opener, no sharp edge when can's opened, easy to use with smooth roll...purchased at Walmart.  My son liked it as well so bought him one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all your help.  Mine might have just been one that died young.  

I don't know what happened.  I opened a can of asparagus with it Friday and it was fine  Did not use it either for opening can or bottle otherwise.  We don't do big cans as there are only the two of us.  

Maybe it just wanted to give up the ghost.  I am going to save it until the engineer comes to see if he can figure out what is wrong.  In the meantime, I a going to buy another.   I love the thing.  It has spoiled me.