Honored Contributor

Re: Kraft Heinz announces big price increases

@phoenixbrd   lol  One of these days, I am going to "forget" our HOA forbids planting in the common areas and hide some veggie and herb plants!  

I do have a small planting strip inside my lanai and there's always at least basil, parsley, mint, and aloe along with greenery and a few flowers.  I haven't had success with tomatoes or green beans or peppers, all of which DH and I used to grow in abundance.  

Respected Contributor

Gotta keep those profits for the stockholders and bonuses for the CEO's up there. What, think of the consumer? Oh Hell No. Multi-million/ billion dollar companies do not need to raise prices. They do it because they can, not because they need to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Remember to shop at Aldi's.  They sell many of the same things that Kraft Heinz makes but at a much lower price. For example, Happy Farms American Cheese singles 12 oz. is much less expensive than Kraft Cheese Singles.  (Yes, both are "cheese product" not actual cheese.)

Honored Contributor

Everything has already gone up & continuing to go up?

Kraft Heinz can keep their processed garbage. I stay away from it as much as possible. I will buy fresh & frozen before I will buy packaged or canned food.

I will pick & choose what I will spend my money on.

Some companies will price themselves out of business.

People are not going to pay the high prices they already have on some. A lot of people won't be able to buy because they can no longer afford it.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

This is going to be a hit to our food budget, especially for ketchup. DH would probably stick a straw in the ketchup bottle if he thought I would let him. If we don't see outright price increases, we'll probably see more subtle cost increases through reduced sizes (the regular size for canned tuna used to be 6 ounces). 

When we were kids a bottle of Heinz ketchup did not last in our house. My brother put ketchup on many things. It became a family joke. You don't know how happy my parents were when Heinz came out with the "Keg" of ketchup. 

They thought that the bottle would last longer. HA! I think my brother only used more.

Since I found the below a few weeks ago at Walmart I have barely touched my ketchup bottle.  This is addictive.

Kraft Mashups Mayochup - 19.25oz

@beckyb1012 Why would you just not combine your own mayo and ketchup (and spices)?  And how is this different than russian dressing?

FYI - there is an interesting taste test of this product and home made on You Tube.

Honored Contributor

I never understood the draw to Heinz Ketchup.  It seems like everybody was always told it was the best so people buy it.

I had to buy the brand one time, a while back, and it took me like two seconds to remember why I didn't like it so much - it tastes like vinegar!

When it's in your mouth, it's VINEGAR - and then a hint of tomato on the back end.

I've purchased Del Monte brand for  my whole life because I like that ketchup tastes like tomatoes - then a hint of vinegar on the back end.

But it seems like DM has been more difficult to find in recent years.  So I just don't plan anything for which I'll need ketchup until I can find more DM.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Well, this is kind of off the topic, but it's kind of on since it's regarding price increases, so I will throw my 2 cents in -- for what it's worth!  LOL!  This stuff, of course, is all over all the reporting shows on t.v.  DH & I were just discussing this --- the fact that you were getting smaller portions of a lot of things and a higher price.  Then the reporting on t.v. was naming several things in particular --- Little Ceasar's Pizza -- the grab and go one which has been $5.00 for a long time, will now be $5.55.  I believe it was Domino's which has a pizza thing for $7.00 or $7.99, well you can only get that on line and they have taken 2 of the chicken wings out of their order.  A box of family sized Cheerio's now has taken 1 ounce out.  They said Chick Fil A made a statement that some items might not be available now or might be prepared in a different way.  Dollar Tree items are now no longer $1.00 but $1.25.  Of course, this is just a few they named.  They said other things which we all know already, such as restaurants having to raise their prices substantially and making their portions smaller, and some items may not be available at all on grocery store shelves.  One commentator said she was having a very hard time finding baby formula and had to go to several stores to get enough for her baby.  So, it's just going on and on and is touching pretty much everything!  When will it clear up --- who knows???? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Remember to shop at Aldi's.  They sell many of the same things that Kraft Heinz makes but at a much lower price. For example, Happy Farms American Cheese singles 12 oz. is much less expensive than Kraft Cheese Singles.  (Yes, both are "cheese product" not actual cheese.)

@ValuSkr I am loving Aldi's these days.  Years ago, there was a stigma associated with people who shopped there, but I'm super impressed with some of the products they carry today.  I mean, many organic and grass fed items, and I especially like their produce. Because I'm picky about certain things that I can't get there, I still have to get some of our groceries elsewhere but I'm fine with that.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Since I found the below a few weeks ago at Walmart I have barely touched my ketchup bottle.  This is addictive.

Kraft Mashups Mayochup - 19.25oz

Your comment made me think of the summer between high school and college. I had a summer job. A lady in the area used to sell sandwiches out of her house. She made the best cheesesteak hoagies. I have never had any that compared to her cheesesteak hoagies since.

So last night I made my version. I did not have any Mayochup. So I made my own. It was light on the ketchup and heavier on the mayo. Not nearly as good as her's but it was still good.

Thanks for reminding me how good it is. Will look for it in the store. But I had not seen it in my local grocery stores.