Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kraft Heinz announces big price increases

Both product lines are loaded with additives Heinz ketchup uses MSG.

They have overcharged for years due to customer loyalty and the addictive substances they use. 

It's an easy pass to get someone elses stuff.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz   For people who have bountiful gardens, homemade tomato products are ideal.  

I did just catch a local sale on good canned tomatoes, but ketsup isn't where they will go.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Exactly, thank you.

Well Said!

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

And when the bottlenecks, etc., are resolved, which they will be, how much will the prices go down again?  Hmm.

I have yet to ever see that happen unfortunately!

I just wish the everyman had somewhere to pass off our increases, like the conglomerates do. 

Honored Contributor

I have refused to buy Heinz products for about 30 years. So this won't bother me one bit.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I purchase very little processed food....the price increase does not surprise me.  The supple chain issues has far reaching impact. 

Honored Contributor

Many good points have been discussed.  The big companies are caught in the middle of our current crisis.  Large companies are paying more so they can keep products on the shelves, of course this will have an impact on prices.  Closing down the pipe line, supporting an unsustainable increase in population, higher crime, etc....all impact costs.  Interest rates are on the rise, and this will result in lower house prices (which became highly inflated), so perhaps -depending on if you are buying/selling - will be a good thing.  

Prices will continue to rise.   When things are outside of our control, we still have the power to choose how we respond.  Freedom of choice is more relevant now than it has ever been. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops   Love this, looking forward to having  a garden.  

@millieshops wrote:

@magicmoodz   For people who have bountiful gardens, homemade tomato products are ideal.  

I did just catch a local sale on good canned tomatoes, but ketsup isn't where they will go.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1   Thank you for your asute observations:

@novamc1 wrote:

Wait a minute, let's be fair.  No monopoly among food companies is causing the grocery inflation being seen now. 

Inflation and prices are ALWAYS a function of supply vs. demand.

Just listen to or read any financial sources.  It's clear that the Federal Reserve, which has always controlled the U.S. money supply, is planning to raise interest rates, is no longer buying bonds to support a failing pandemic-ridden economy, and  every time the Fed speaks (which is very often in Capitol Hill testimony), the entire marketplace convulses in one direction or another.

The same inflation  affecting food is raising prices of gasoline, cars, real estate and everything else, for reasons that have been cited to death --supply chain shortages and scarcity of anything from computer chips and auto parts to harvestable crops and lumber.

Also, in all my decades of experience in this country, prices DO go down when the marketplace and supply permit.  Ever wonder what causes retailers to reduce prices or put items on sale?  Supply vs. demand!

How can anybody forget the two big home price plunges that have occurred over the past 40-50 years, which caused such hardship among homeowners?  In one of those price drops, I sold my sis and BIL a home that cost $30,000 below what the seller had paid only two years before.  One of my kids left $40,000 of his original purchase price on the table when he and his wife felt the need to sell and move to a better area with  top schools for their young child. 

If prices don't drop appreciably,  it's probably because worker wages and salaries have gone up, so price increases lose their impact, and both consumers and workers rock along in relative prosperity

Worker salaries are definitely going up, because the shortage of workers has caused employers to pay more to attract and retain their staffs.

Honored Contributor

Yep!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."