Super Contributor

KitchenAid Stand Mixer Tilt-Head vs. Bowl-Lift - Feedback Please

For years, I used a 5 qt. KitchenAid stand mixer, bowl-lift model.  Now I'm ready to buy my own and discovered that the TSV stand mixer tomorrow will be the tilt-head model.  

I am looking for feedback on which one you prefer and why, as well as your thoughts about the glass bowl vs. the metal, which is the one I've used before.  I liked the fact that the metal bowl clicked into place.  It doesn't look like the glass bowl does that.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Tomorrow's TSV could likely be a Christmas present to myself, LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: KitchenAid Stand Mixer Tilt-Head vs. Bowl-Lift - Feedback Please

Mine was a tilt-head and metal lock- in bowl.   Wouldn't want a non-lock-in b/c the power of the machine gets rocking...........if you have dough or lots of cookie batter mixing.

With lock-in you can walk away and not worry.

Enjoy your mixer!

Honored Contributor

I have the tilt head mixer with the glass bowl.  I have never had a problem with it moving-  my problem is that even before you add ingredients, it’s heavier than I like to handle so I actually don’t use it as much now as I did when I had a stronger hand.

Honored Contributor

I can't speak to the lift bowl model as I have never used one and have the tilt.

i can speak to the glass vs metal.  Mine came w/ glass which cracked on the first use and was replaced under warranty.

I bought the metal and use it tons more.  It is lighter, easier to lock into place.  Cleans easy and works well in the freezer if you want to chill the bowl.

The glass does lock somewhat into place, but not nearly secure as the metal.  It is very heavy and awkward to use.  I will use it as backup if I am baking a lot and too lazy to wash the stainless.

Frequent Contributor

I've used the professional bowl-lift and I hated it. I bought my daughter the tilt-head and it is so much easier to use.  Would never buy the bowl-lift model again.

Super Contributor

I have had a tilt mixer mixer with a metal bowl for many yrs. It works well and I don't think I would like a glass bowl because I had a glass bowl for something else and it chipped. I also think the glass bowls would be heavy.

Trusted Contributor

@Northern Belle 2  I own both, and the tilt head is my go to mixer.  I am still using my 1998 KitchenAid and it runs like a top.  Years ago my Mom bought me the bowl lift model for Christmas, and it has a larger bowl so I use it for my big batch cut out cookies, but it seems slow and is hard to get the beater out.

Respected Contributor

I've got the KA tilt head mixer with the metal bowls and have been very happy with it. Many of the cake and cookie batters I make are heavy, so I like the metal bowls because they're very lightweight. I prefer the bowls with a handle, especially for scraping the last of the batter into the cake pan. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've owned both and didn't like lift model and then it pooped out after only three years of light use ( was expensive to repair so I bought my second tilt head).  I gave my first tilt head to my chef son and he eventually gave it to his daughter; it just keeps on going!  I would definitely recommend tilt head. I've only used metal bowls -- no issues.

Trusted Contributor

I have the bowl life model now.  When I got married I received the Tilt Head.  Comparing the two I prefer the Tilt head model.  I wish I had held out for a Tilt Head model when I purchased a new one.  I'm constantly fighting to get the bowl on the mixer.  The Tilt head I just had to set the bowl down no fighting.  When mixing and adding items it seemed easier in the tilt head which get the attachment out of your way.