Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen remodel: If you could add one thing what would it be?

We did our own kitchen remodel several years ago and I love it. The only thing I would change is putting a small sink in the island, which is huge. I deeply regret that as my husband and I love to cook together.

Super Contributor

A Self cleaning kitchen!

Super Contributor

a better ventilation system for my electric top stove. We put a microwave under the cabinets that are over the stove top but that has not been satisfactory. we should have vented an exhaust line outside.

Honored Contributor

I''ll never do it at this stage, but I would have liked a pantry and more counter space.  We did do some updating through the years, so it has improved over original items.  We did not increase size of the room though.

Respected Contributor

@Dominosmom wrote:

a better ventilation system for my electric top stove. We put a microwave under the cabinets that are over the stove top but that has not been satisfactory. we should have vented an exhaust line outside.

@Dominosmom

That’s exactly what I got rid of. I have windows and a ceiling fan that I always had to open whenever I seared or browned meet! I have a high btu burners and they work fabulous. But my smoke detector would go off if I didn’t open up everything. Now I’m getting a chimney wall exhaust and have to tile that whole area now. More $$$$

Respected Contributor

We bought a SPEC home in 2009 and it came with black with grey speckled granite countertops.  By the end of 2018 I want to change them to quartz counter tops of a lighter color.

Honored Contributor

If we were to do a total gut, I would reconfigure the space to add a dishwasher, I don't have one.

I would have the upper cabinets lowered just a little bit.  I'm short and can barely reach the first shelf.

Then I would have someone find me a gas range that did not have a broiler in it.  As far as I'm concerned, it's only good for setting stuff on fire!  I never use it and a drawer with no flames would be a better option for me to be able to store sheet pans.

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If we were to do a total gut, I would reconfigure the space to add a dishwasher, I don't have one.

I would have the upper cabinets lowered just a little bit.  I'm short and can barely reach the first shelf.

Then I would have someone find me a gas range that did not have a broiler in it.  As far as I'm concerned, it's only good for setting stuff on fire!  I never use it and a drawer with no flames would be a better option for me to be able to store sheet pans.

Earlier this year we had our kitchen reconfigured.  I had my dishwasher removed and added more cabinet space.  I didn't like the dishwasher..it was nasty...always worried about what not to put in it...always had to end up having dishwater in the sink anyway, cause not everything can be put in the dishwasher...I said...why bother? 

I also had my garbage disposal removed...stinky thing...same thing...didn't want to bother cleaning it all the time...

I also wanted to tell you if you buy a self-cleaning oven, it will have a broiler inside and a storage drawer underneath.

I bought a Frigidaire stove, self-cleaning (which I don't use, but wanted a storage drawer) , it has the broiler inside the oven, plus it has more insulation all around, so it will protect the flooring and surrounding cabinets...that's why I decided on a self-cleaning...a little more expensive, but worth it to have a storage drawer..

Trusted Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Also getting a drawer Microwave and chimney stove vent. Those microwaves over the stove don’t have enough pull to clear my kitchen if I’m searing anything. 

I'm also currently having the kitchen remodeled. I considered a drawer microwave, I like that they're hidden. I went with an over-the-counter microwave shelf. The bottom of the shelf is level with the bottom of the cabinets.

I absolutely refused to have one installed over the range, safety being the main concern, and I'm getting a new glass top range. While they might be necessary for very very small kitchens, I'm more than doubling my old cabinet space, and can spare some of that space for the shelf. Plus I can easily replace the microwave myself if necessary.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  I love your window idea!  I could have used that idea maybe back when we were remodeling houses.  I think DH is done with that, but you never know with him.