Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen facelift - I hired a decorator for the first time in my life.

On 1/25/2015 vera11 said:

happy housewife..i too am considering counter and backsplash in wilsonart calacatta marble..would love to see a picture of ur finished kitchen..have seen many on line and the look is really beautiful..

Sadly I can not post pictures from my chromebook. My counter top is called jeweled ivory by wilsonart. It has a ivory background with beige and small touches of grey. I absolutely love it against my beige walls and medium tone wood cabinets. I also have this same material on the 2 bathrooms counters, with the same wood in the vanity cabinets, and the same beige walls. I will go to the wilsonart site and look up your calcutta marble.

Honored Contributor

verall - I looked at it - really beautiful. Looks exactly like Italian marble. It will be beautiful. It will look exactly like the real thing.

Honored Contributor

Retired 08 - do you happen to know what that pattern is called?

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 happy housewife said:

Retired 08 - do you happen to know what that pattern is called?

Sorry I took so long getting back to you, but, I had to look back and find my friends info.
She said that it's called ....the laminate countertop is by formica...called fx 180...new product...eco friendly...stain and heat resistant in lots of 6 foot patterns....

Hope this helps. This is what I would choose because I love the look with her creamy cabinets.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 lovestoteach said:

h_c.. do you think that the quartz is maybe lighter, too? I have known a situation in which a person chose granite for a house, and then found out that they would have to replace the cabinet work in order to "hold" the granite. Anyway, if quartz is easier to keep, I'd vote for that! Good to know there is a pretty alternative!

I'm not quite ready to do counters yet, but I was surprised when I had to buy a new dishwasher a few years ago that one of the questions the salesman asked was what kind of counters I had. He didn't want to sell me some models if I had or planned to have granite because their walls wouldn't support that weight. I'd never heard that before.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 millieshops said:

h_c.. do you think that the quartz is maybe lighter, too? I have known a situation in which a person chose granite for a house, and then found out that they would have to replace the cabinet work in order to "hold" the granite. Anyway, if quartz is easier to keep, I'd vote for that! Good to know there is a pretty alternative!

I'm not quite ready to do counters yet, but I was surprised when I had to buy a new dishwasher a few years ago that one of the questions the salesman asked was what kind of counters I had. He didn't want to sell me some models if I had or planned to have granite because their walls wouldn't support that weight. I'd never heard that before.

Our neighbor made herself a desk by using 2 wooden file cabinets and putting a piece of scrap granite on top - after a short while the file cabinets collapsed from the weight of the granite. Just our little half wall caps required 3 guys to carry them in as they were very heavy.

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 house_cat said:

h_c... so happy for you! O/T: you deserve to have a decorator and all! It will be so much easier having someone else doing the suggesting and some of the legwork! Kudos!

Don't think I'm not losing sleep over this, literally. DH and I have both had cancer in the last few years, and although our prognoses are good, it puts things in perspective. I decided to have a little fun now, instead of waiting, but then... in the middle of the night... I start thinking "What if this?" and "What if that?" Maybe we shouldn't be spending the money. Oh dear.

house_cat: Good for you for having a little fun! I am glad that both your and DH's prognoses are positive! We all do tend to second guess ourselves sometimes but hope you can be easy on yourself about it and enjoy your updated kitchen!
Respected Contributor

When we built 10 years ago, it seemed like granite was in the same price range as any other material, so we chose granite. So happy we did. With all the abuse I give it, it still looks brand new! Simple to clean. I just wipe it down with a sponge and every so often I spray it with a granite cleaner/polish. Probably don't need that spray, but that's what I was told to do. Not sure if quartz is more expensive, but I'd chose granite again since I know the quality. Have fun! I love remodels.