Frequent Contributor

Re: Kitchen facelift - I hired a decorator for the first time in my life.

Congratulations on having your kitchen remodeled! We had the kitchen at our lake house remodeled almost two years ago and hired a designer. She was wonderful and I have never been sorry. We put in Quartz counters, Cambria Laneshaw to be exact. Absolutely love it! Most weekends our four children are there, with spouses and children for the married ones. Holiday weekends we have about 18 people staying over. In other words, the kitchen gets a lot of use! The Quartz holds up very well. I am careful about hot things, but that is just the way I was brought up. Good luck and enjoy the experience!
Trusted Contributor

A good kitchen designer is worth her weight in gold! I am a retired residential designer, and when the time came to do the kitchen in our restored historic district home, I hired a professional kitchen designer. Kitchen design is a very specialized field. And there is a very small margin of error with those tight spaces. Hope you just love and enjoy your new kitchen!

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Barbara in Virginia said:

A good kitchen designer is worth her weight in gold! I am a retired residential designer, and when the time came to do the kitchen in our restored historic district home, I hired a professional kitchen designer. Kitchen design is a very specialized field. And there is a very small margin of error with those tight spaces. Hope you just love and enjoy your new kitchen!

Bless your heart Barbara! Thank you! This has been our business for many decades and my husband's been a kitchen designer for years and years. It is very specialized indeed! As you know, there are so many opportunities for things to go wrong! My daughter is a residential designer too, and has worked successfully on kitchen remodels, but when in doubt, she consults with her dad! I think housecat should be fine since the existing cabinets are being refinished and reused, as are the appliances, and the footprint of the kitchen isn't being changed. It sounds like a designer is just what's needed to give her kitchen the perfect update!

Honored Contributor

When we lived in Pa we remodeled the kitchen and had a designer do it for us. All custom cabinets and all. It was so beautiful plus he used each and every inch of space in there.It was so efficient. I have a much larger kitchen now but I really miss the one we had after the remodel.

Respected Contributor

Congrats House Cat, please post pics if you'd like. It's fun to see others' projects and how they unfold, and the finished product.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

A decorator - that sounds like fun!

I gave my kitchen a facelift in the spring, had Corian, but had wanted granite Forever. After going to several huge stone suppliers for a look-around, I realized that granite is just to 'busy' for my taste. JMO Selected an almost translucent, mid-grey quartz that looks like glass. I spill things on it, bang it up, and ignore it. It is beautiful!

JFYI - in my area quartz costs more than granite. That was a shock. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Best wishes for your new look - enjoy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

My friend just remodeled her kitchen. The counter tops that she chose are actually Formica, but they sure don't look like it. Her kitchen has turned out as pretty as anything in any decorating magazine. She used creamy white cabinets.

It's the photo below....sorry it would not let me write anything underneath.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Retired08 said:

My friend just remodeled her kitchen. The counter tops that she chose are actually Formica, but they sure don't look like it. Her kitchen has turned out as pretty as anything in any decorating magazine. She used creamy white cabinets.

It's the photo below....sorry it would not let me write anything underneath.

Yes, formica has gotten very pretty. I wanted marble but it is discouraged because it stains so I went with a wilsonart laminate that looks like marble. It is very pretty.
Frequent Contributor

happy housewife..i too am considering counter and backsplash in wilsonart calacatta marble..would love to see a picture of ur finished kitchen..have seen many on line and the look is really beautiful..