Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen facelift - I hired a decorator for the first time in my life.

On 1/24/2015 house_cat said:

Thanks for the feedback, ladies.

It was a real leap of faith (and budget) to hire a designer, but I was overwhelmed with options and thought this would keep me from making a huge mistake. They sure to make life easier, bringing everything to me. I live in a large city and it could take months running around investigating all the possibilities.

I used a designer, was well worth it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

h_c.. do you think that the quartz is maybe lighter, too? I have known a situation in which a person chose granite for a house, and then found out that they would have to replace the cabinet work in order to "hold" the granite. Anyway, if quartz is easier to keep, I'd vote for that! Good to know there is a pretty alternative!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

I found no matter what patience was in order to do a kitchen redo. I spent weeks laboring over the plans for the redo of my kitchen. I thought out how I worked and what I liked. When we actually moved in the house I knew exactly where every item I owned would go.

As to quartz vs granite I've heard different things from different sales people. I myself chose quartz as ours did not need to be sealed (had for 8 years now) and you could place something hot on it. I wouldn't so I can't see if that is true. I do have friends who cracked their granite by placing a hot pan on it and they never seal it!

Just like anything else the price of quartz and granite vary, especially granite. I have visited showrooms where they sell the granite to fabricators and I must say I could purchase some of the pieces to use as artwork and VERY Expensive. When we priced ours were similar. That being said, there is still something about the look of granite, to me it has life and I am considering replacing my counters in spite of all the reasons I purchased quartz.

Super Contributor

Maybe we're talking about different products. The quartz my decorator suggested is a composite quartz - it's half the price of the granite.

hc--all quartz is composite. It can be unfair to make comparisons because there are eight levels of granite (and marble) and each is 20% more. So there is a big difference in quality and price. We're seeing cheaper materials coming from China, including quartz now. Can you tell me the brand of quartz your decorator is suggesting?

I hear ya about the "should we; shouldn't we" voice in our heads! I always thought about the things I'd do someday. Then one day I realized--it's someday! Someday's here! Enjoy your new kitchen in the best of health!

Trusted Contributor

Though I do the majority of my renovations and decorating myself, there have been times over the years that I have used a decorator. Here is some advise: just because the decorator likes quartz over granite doesn't mean that you have to select it. If you love granite, then go with it. They are both great products but to be perfectly honest, I love the look of granite better than quartz, and for the record: granite is not difficult to maintain.

Respected Contributor

I went through the same thing as you are going through now 10 years ago. We had our house built for us so we had to pick out everything. We decided on a lot of new furniture and the woman at the place where we bought all our furniture from had worked for several years at a kitchen cabinet store. She really helped us with explaining everything to us and we finally decided to go with granite in our kitchen and our bathrooms. We went to a place where you pick out the actual slabs of granite that you want and then it is sent to where it is custom made for your cabinets.

Where we purchased our cabinets from they also educated us on counter tops. We did find out that if you go with the dark colors of granite that you never have to seal it because the place that cut the granite to fit our cabinets put a permanent seal on it. We chose lighter colors for the bathrooms and once a year we put the sealer on.....very easy to do. We are not sorry that we went with granite and love it. It looks like the day that we moved into our house 10 years ago and it gets a ton of use daily. Good luck with your choice.

Edited to say that the reason for them not being able to permanently seal the lighter colors of granite was because it darkened the lighter colors. I agree eith the others that said that they would not lay anything hot on any surfaces. I know they say that you can with granite but I do not. I agree with others in that granite is not at all difficult to maintain. In our kitchen we do nothing but wipe it down. In the baths we seal once a year and it is very simple to do.

Honored Contributor

When we had our kitchen redone we went to a place that only did kitchen remodels. So a designer was part of the package. He was so helpful. I would hate to think what the kitchen would have looked like with out his suggestions. He knew his stuff - I didn't. Was one of the best decisions we made.

Respected Contributor

Hi housecat,

So happy for you, and yes life is too short to go without something you really need and want.

So glad you decided to hire a pro decorator, makes life so much easier.

If I had a choice to make now with remodel or replacements of items I would choose items which are almost maintenance free.

As for what to choose with so many options available, ask your decorator to bring showroom samples to you so you can decide, along with manufacturer's recommendations abut the product.

Your decorator can also take you to showrooms so you can see larger items on display to make a final decision.

As for color that is the fun of remodeling you are in the drivers seat and can coordinate everything to blend exceptionally well.

Just remember some stainless steel appliances do require constant maintenance, some do not.

If you bake and roll out pastry dough stainless steel is wonderful even if only placed in a baking counter top area. It also blends well with other counter top options. Above all is easy to maintain and disinfects easily. The beauty of a ss baking counter top is also timeless.

If you are doing the kitchen remodel for yourself choose your favorites, but if you need to think about selling sometime down the road then mention that to your designer, as other kitchen remodeling options are more neutral for home resale.

Whatever you choose and decide when it is all completed you will really love your new kitchen and the joy of having what you really want means so much, when one loves to cook and also entertain.

Good luck house-cat, and happy kitchen remodeling!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all the responses. I feel the need to clarify, however. I'm not remodeling the kitchen, just refinishing the cabinets, new countertops and painting the walls. I love the existing wood floor and appliances, which is good, because it's not in the budget to change them.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 LoopyLoo said:

Maybe we're talking about different products. The quartz my decorator suggested is a composite quartz - it's half the price of the granite.

hc--all quartz is composite. It can be unfair to make comparisons because there are eight levels of granite (and marble) and each is 20% more. So there is a big difference in quality and price. We're seeing cheaper materials coming from China, including quartz now. Can you tell me the brand of quartz your decorator is suggesting?

I hear ya about the "should we; shouldn't we" voice in our heads! I always thought about the things I'd do someday. Then one day I realized--it's someday! Someday's here! Enjoy your new kitchen in the best of health!

thanks, LoopyLoo. I really knew nothing about quartz until she presented us with it. If I thought I was going to be in this house the rest of my life, I'd go with the granite, but most likely we'll be selling in the next few years. I do like the look of the quartz that we chose, or I wouldn't have agreed to it. I can't remember the name. When I find out, I'll update.

~ house cat ~