Respected Contributor
When selecting my sink my primary focus was on farm, half or 1/3. I hadn’t thought about depth since current top mount had been extra deep type. While doing dishes in laundry tub I noticed how I had to bend over more. Sure enough I notice it too in new sink, probably Because I am tall.
Encourage buyers to see/test actual sink in counter.
Honored Contributor

Good point for sure. I'm on the short end of the spectrum at 5'3" and I think if you're shorter you can find your sink/counter area a bit to high for you hence making us needing to hunch our shoulders to almost reach up to the counter.

Respected Contributor

I agree.   When we remodeled our kitchen I got stuck on wanting a very large single bowl sink, one that would easily handle my large baking pans and cookie sheets.  We had to special order it and once it was installed I realized my mistake. 

It is too large and takes away quite a bit of needed counter space.  Needless to say, I am stuck with it because of the countertop being cut and installed to fit around the sink.   We would have to completely change out our granite countertop and there's no way my husband would agree to that.   

In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a 60/40 sink.   I thought I would love a single sink but it's more of a minus than a plus.  

Honored Contributor

There are so many choices, even if you do your homework, you can be disappointed.

A couple of months ago, I posted about undermount or top mount sinks, which do you prefer?    I was thinking about looks & ease of cleaning.    I got many positive responses for undermount but you could never change out the sink without taking out the countertop.

I swear I'm going with this next time!!

kitchen sink.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom----who knew there is so much to consider about buying sinks---I am getting one in a few months and have a list of things that I DON'T want in a sink. My brother got a sink that is very deep and then has  a tall faucet so it splashes out when you turn the water on and it hits the bottom----got soaked when I was  working at it one day. And I was bending over to reach the bottom too and I am 5'5".  And they paid alot for it too---I learn from these mistakes----Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Twins Mom----who knew there is so much to consider about buying sinks---I am getting one in a few months and have a list of things that I DON'T want in a sink. My brother got a sink that is very deep and then has  a tall faucet so it splashes out when you turn the water on and it hits the bottom----got soaked when I was  working at it one day. And I was bending over to reach the bottom too and I am 5'5".  And they paid alot for it too---I learn from these mistakes----Smiley Wink

I know what you mean, but going too shallow will create even more splashing out of the sink... It's been two years since I've had my new sink installed.... I looked several months on line at different styles and read every review I could...

I ended up with a 60/40 Blanco Siligranit drop-in sink, which I love....( deeper on the '60' side compared to '40' side)  , but wish I would've gotten a little darker color... I went with the bisquit color and it does show the surface stains... a magic eraser works great at getting them off, though, but it is a little bit more work than if I would've gotten the next darker color...I do hate to tell you, , no matter what kind you get, they are expensive and so are the faucets...(and I had to buy the drains/baskets and stainless steel racks for the bottoms separate..... just to let you know to be prepared for the cost..

Hope all goes well with your search... Have a great day!

Honored Contributor

I am only 5'1".  My newest sink is deep and my facet is is very tall.  I love it.  I have had quite a few sinks, but this one is the best ever.

You have to open up the spigot slowly when you turn the water on.  I have been using this sink for a few years and I never splash water.  My son splashes when he visits because he accidently pushes the button in to use he sprayer and he opens the spigot up the whole way.

A deep sink is great because you can't see a few dirty dishes when they are placed in there to wash later,  you can wash big pots and pans and trays with no trouble and you can soak cookware if you have to.

I fail to see why a deep sink would be a negative for a shorter person. I have never had to bend over to reach the bottom of my sink.  How deep is that sink?    I have more trouble with getting into the upper cabinets.

Honored Contributor

I prefer undermount sinks.  I think I'm just about the only person I know who does not like farm sinks.

Esteemed Contributor

My kitchen sink is farm house one and the faucet is also back further.  Definitely hard on the old back. Good advice to check this all out before you proceede. 

Honored Contributor

Don't get one of those squared off ones with seams.  They are terribly hard to clean!  Also, spend enough money to get a good well isolated sink so stuff doesn't clatter in it.

I don't care for farm sinks either.  Undermount only for me!