Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Sink Selection...50/50 or single or other?

I'm wondering if a lot of people who prefer just a single sink do so for the purpose of being able to put large things in there.

Even with a double sink I am able to put my 13.25qt Le Creuset pot in one of the sides with no problem at all.   I guess the only things I cannot lay right into either side would be the large baking sheets or my largest roasting pan.  But I can put them in there diagonally for the purpose of washing them, so it works out fine and I still wouldn't want just one big sink.

The best part - I'm glad we all have choices!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I never had a garbage disposal. We always scaped food into trash, it never went into the sink.

Before my kitchen was remodeled I had no dishwasher and two sinks.  Even then I only washed in one sink, with extremely hot running water.  To this day everyone knows to run the water a bit and test it so they don't get scaled. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

one big single sink, I have a double now and regret it 

OP why not do a permanent dishwasher 

suprised people don't have or want a dishwasher,  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love that sink too, it's what I grew up with.   

We put a plastic basin in the bottom to fill with soapy water for washing dishes.

There was still enough room to stack the dishes, then rinse a bunch at one time.

I have a double stainless now, I don't like it.    It seems to waste real estate in the kitchen.   I could do just as much with a bit smaller single.    I have an auto dishwasher but for just me, I handwash only.

I'd also like to add, you can do more & better food prep in 1 large sink.

@CinNC

@x Hedge wrote:

I've lived or worked with a wide range of sinks.

New and old, single, double, triple bowls, freestanding, wall hung, drop in, stainless, soapstone, porcelain, and plastic.

This is my favorite.

Wall hung porcelain over cast iron, single bowl.

Doesn't work for everyone, but I love it!!

images (2).jpeg

Honored Contributor

I got a double biggie sink on one side and a small one built into the counter on other side. Keeps people from stepping over each other and getting in each others way .. No way would I have less then 3. LOL

Honored Contributor

When we remolded our kitchen 6 years ago I went for the extra large single sink.  My mother has had a double sink in both her current & previous homes.  She thinks they are great but personally I don't care for a double at all!  I find them annoying when trying to deal with a large pot, etc.  

Trusted Contributor

I always go with a double bowl sink.  One large farmhouse sink is too limiting for me.  If I need to soak something, that takes up my sink or I have to use a plastic dish tub.

I also have large pots and pans and I have a porcelain double bowl sink where the top of the bowl is a semi-circle.  That extra space accomodates anything I want to do by hand.

Trusted Contributor

A few months ago I switched out a 50/50 stainless with a single bowl and LOVE IT! I was going crazy trying to clean pots and pans or large platters/bowls in that double sink. I purchased a handy thing made by Oxo which is a brush and scouring pad on a handle filled with dishwashing liquid. So I can wash dishes in the sink if I choose by using that gadget, hold them under running water to rinse. No need to fill up the single sink with soapy water. It's worked well for me.  I use the dishwasher most frequently and really hated that 50/50 sink.

Honored Contributor

When we replaced our kitchen sink we decided on a 60/40.  With the larger washing side, bigger pots fit easier and a 9x13 pan can lay flat.  It may not sound like a big deal, but we’ve never regretted our decision.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I never had a garbage disposal. We always scaped food into trash, it never went into the sink.

Before my kitchen was remodeled I had no dishwasher and two sinks.  Even then I only washed in one sink, with extremely hot running water.  To this day everyone knows to run the water a bit and test it so they don't get scaled. 

@Mary Bailey you are my people!  I wish I had one large sink to wash dishes and to this day I still don't get garbage disposals as all I can see them doing is clogging up my pipes (don't snipe at me as I was raised with lacking not only a garbage disposal but also a dishwasher and clothes dryer.).