Valued Contributor

Re: Kitchen Sink Selection...50/50 or single or other?

Me too, CarmieSmiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I've lived or worked with a wide range of sinks.

New and old, single, double, triple bowls, freestanding, wall hung, drop in, stainless, soapstone, porcelain, and plastic.

This is my favorite.

Wall hung porcelain over cast iron, single bowl.

Doesn't work for everyone, but I love it!!

images (2).jpeg

Honored Contributor

@CinNC.    There are just two in our house....more often than not I handwash the dishes and drip dry in the dishwasher but I would NEVER have a single sink.  You would always have to make sure you have scraped and rinsed dishes before you draw your dish water and I use the disposal several times while doing dishes, you would not be able to put anything down the disposal after the water is drawn....I guess it's all personal prefrence...I guess you could wash the dishes in a pastic tub and store it in the dishwasher so you have access to the sink and disposal.

I ran into this issue at my friends house this summer, we had a lot of dishes, one sink and had to dump a bunch of plate scrapings into the trash, it was a big mess.

Esteemed Contributor

I've got a 60/40(?) SS by Kraus.  Got it years ago on Overstock.  It came with the high faucet, handwasher thing, and SS bottom racks.  The left side (smaller) has a special SS cup with drain holes for pre-rinsing.  

Most importantly it's deep - very deep!  I like that 'cause I don't get water all over, unless I accidentally spray myself with that faucet sprayer.  (I'm good at making a messWoman Frustrated.)  Anyways, if you're like me, deep matters!

Regular Contributor

I vote for a deep single sink.

Honored Contributor

I continue to stick to a 50/50 sink.   I absolutely do not want a dishwasher in my kitchen.   I want to hand wash what few dishes we have, rinse, and then let them drain in the dish drainer that fits in the other side of the sink.   No counter top dish drainer for me.   I do have the deepest model sink I could find.    

Respected Contributor

I have a large single sink. I hand wash dishes. No problem. I do not need a rinse side and a wash side. To rinse the dishes just hold them under the water. Large pots are hard to manage in some 50/50 sinks. Be more concerned with an undermount or regular mount. I would love a new sink, but no one wants the responsibility of taking an undermount out.   They will not guarantee that the granite will not crack.

Honored Contributor

I was going to say I loved a double sink back before I got a dishwasher.  Wash on one side, rinse on the other.  Now I think I would try a farm sink if I ever re-do this kitchen.  But your answer has to be stick with a double.  

Honored Contributor

Another thought:  As long as you are spending all this money, might you consider a built in dishwasher?  I would give up many things to keep this.

Honored Contributor

I had a 50/50 sink for 25 years.  The builder put it in and as far as I know, I didn't have a choice in that as I did in other things like the cabinet colors.

Like you, I hand wash a lot and found it handy to put the clean on one side.  

I just put in a new countertop and sink a few weeks ago and I got a single sink in the same dimentions as the 50/50.  It's also twice as deep.

I'm finding there is plenty of room to still keep the clean on one side to drain and dry.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN