Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Sink Selection...50/50 or single or other?

@Sooner wrote:

If you are short don't get a sink that's too deep or you will have a sore back.

I can relate to that - except about the new washing machines.  That's how I skrewed up my ribs.  I had to get on my tippy toe, hike up the other leg, bending in as far as I could, to get some dog hair and a piece of tape out of my washer after doing my husband's laundry.

Somehow or other the underwire of my bra jammed into my ribs, up against the top of the washing machine.  That was a few weeks ago and I'm still having pain issues with one of the areas of my ribs on that side.

I'm probably still barely 5'4".

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt - One word: TONGS. Even though I'm not short, I have a pair of the typical silicone-tipped kitchen tongs in a cabinet in my laundry room for retrieving things at the bottom of my washing machine. It saves a lot of pain and helps me avoid banging my head against said cabinet, which is right above the machine, when I lean in...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@chickenbutt - One word: TONGS. Even though I'm not short, I have a pair of the typical silicone-tipped kitchen tongs in a cabinet in my laundry room for retrieving things at the bottom of my washing machine. It saves a lot of pain and helps me avoid banging my head against said cabinet, which is right above the machine, when I lean in...  Smiley Wink

Oh thanks!  Smiley Happy    Great idea and I do have a variety of tongs.    Sometimes, trying to get to the bottom of that drum, I have pulled out my step stool but it makes it even more weird than just trying to reach from standing on the floor.

Sounds a little like me - if there is something I can bang my head on, trip over, or in some way fumble, it's happening.  I probably hurt myself, being a klutz, half a dozen times a day.  D'oh!  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt - I really just need to take down the cabinet and put up a simple shelf in its place; there isn't much in it, but I've just dealt with it over the years since the laundry room is already so small and I haven't felt like hassling with it. Honestly, the more I think about it right now, I just shake my head about keeping it when it's such a nuisance.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a double sink now and love it. The only way I would do a single sink again would be a huge professionl or farm house size one. If you have a portable dishwasher then I would choose the double sink.

Respected Contributor

How is the double sink (60/40) with a low divider? Seems like it should help with cookie sheets.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a large, stainless, deep kitchen sink and love it.  It is perfect for soaking pots as well as the grates on my stove.  I  had the 50/50 before but this works better for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have a double sink but one side is much larger than the other.   The side with the garbage disposal is shallower and smaller.  I love it. 

Respected Contributor

I grew up with double sinks, no garbage disposal, and no dishwasher. Every house we've lived in but one had a double sink and dishwasher. I really dislike double sinks. We are in the midst of redoing the kitchen and have chosen a single sink and new dishwasher. I can't wait to use them.

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

When we replaced our kitchen sink we decided on a 60/40.  With the larger washing side, bigger pots fit easier and a 9x13 pan can lay flat.  It may not sound like a big deal, but we’ve never regretted our decision.  

I also replaced a 50/50 sink with a 60/40  and I also love it... it's a Blanco Siligranit..

did purchase the stainless racks for each side to help with draining dishes.. I also do not have or want a dishwasher.. so doing dishes by hand is old norm for me.... no biggie..I, too, do not regret my decision...