Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kitchen Equipment/Tools That Have Been With You Through The Years

@Mz iMac   My Mom had one but I have no idea of what happened to it.

I know my MIL had one because my husband, at the age of 4, decided to put his index finger in it while his Mom was using it.  Lost the very end of his finger.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac   I love that!!!   

Respected Contributor

I have the salt and pepper shakers and a gravy boat from my grandparents my house.
Respected Contributor

Yes, two things come to mind.   I have an 8" cast iron skillet that I only use for cornbread and a metal garlic crusher.  I've had both for over 50 years when I set up my first kitchen.   

Respected Contributor

I have a ceramic bowl that my mother had, that her mother had.  Growing up my mother watching over us while hand drying it, hoping that we would not break it.  It’s not pretty, but sentimental.  I think it is from the 1930’s when my grandmother got married.  I use it for Thanksgiving.  It’s probably the oldest item I own.  We always used it for mashed potatoes.   It’s dark brown with STILL a perfect glaze on it.  It makes me smile.  

Esteemed Contributor

I still have, and use, a 1970s era T-Fal cookie sheet. I don't use it for cookies anymore, but it works great for biscuits and french bread pizzas.....poor thing is getting a bit tired looking, but I can't part with it! I also use (and hand wash) 2 of my mother's small, thin spatulas that she and my dad used for years.

Respected Contributor

Reading this thread made me realize that I've had  my Le Creuset pots and pans for over 40 years. I rely on two of them, a saucepan and a dutch oven, but also use a lot of Curtis Stone pans.

I've had a Danish cheese plane for at least that long, and a strange bottle opener of inlaid wood that I misplaced for a decade, then found. Don't use either of them often, but I'd never replace them.

I also have a broiler pan that was made to fit an ancient oven I had in an early apartment, which I took when I left because they were doing a gut rehab so they could jack up the rent of the next tenant and tossing the stove. That sturdy little graniteware pan is perfect for all kinds of things like tater tots and chops.

Respected Contributor

I still have a electric hand mixer that I received as a wedding gift from my Aunt when I married in 1968.   The brand was Westinghouse.

Until a few years ago when I purchased a KitchenAid Standing mixer I was still using it.   To this day it still works just fine.  It's packed away and I should donate it but I just can't.  

My Aunt passed away years ago and that mixer brings back many wonderful memories of her.

Esteemed Contributor

I still have a lot of pyrex and corning ware that I received at my bridal shower in 1982.  I also still have my first set of dinnerware and many serving pieces.  

Trusted Contributor

Decades ago, Mom gave me a glass 10-cup Corning measurer. That thing has been through several moves, the 1972 flood when Hurrican Agnes came through and being battered around by our son. It's simply the best thing ever and I'd be lost without it. 

I still have the Corning casseroles that I received when we got married (1972). I still use them, too.