Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Equipment/Tools That Have Been With You Through The Years

I have my mother's tube cake pan that must be close to 70 years old. It has a dent in the side from one of our moves, but I just hide it with icing. 

Shortly after we got married 40+ years ago, my brother gave me a chef's knife and a carving knife. These are my go-to knives (even though I have more expensive ones) and I sharpen them with a countertop sharpener that I bought from QVC. 

Esteemed Contributor

Dad gave me his favorite kitchen knife. The wooden handle is showing some wear. I have his cast-iron pan for cornbread. That's my childhood memories. Grandmother gave me her small pitcher she used for sweet tea. It's nice to have these items.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I still use & have the cast iron frying pans (2) my father gave me I believe the 1st year of my marriage.  They were my fathers so no telling how old they actually are.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I *had* an old school older than dirt potato peeler that was rusty but still sharp as a razor.  I could peel a large potatoe in under a minute w/that thing.   One day, I tore my utinsel draw up looking for it. 

Paramour told me he threw it away & got me a new one.  I was

Cursing.png

angry_80_anim_gif.gif

Everytime I think about what he did, I get a tear in my eye.

Honored Contributor

A Sabatier butcher knife I've had over 50 years........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have an old pancake turner with a wooden handle that was my mom's.  I don't really know the age, though i think she told me it was a wedding gift from her 1st marriage in the 1920's.  It's marked A&J & I checked & the co. was started in 1909 & they changed their name in 1929 to EKCO.  I still use it when I fry eggs, as I like them over easy & it still does the best job of flipping them, since it's thin & flexible.  Due to the wood handle, I wash & dry it by hand when i use it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a glass relish tray dish that my parents received for a wedding present (or a shower for my mom).  It's close to 65 years old.  I still use it about once a year but I'm always afraid it will get broken.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a blue speckled enamel covered roaster.  It was my Grandmother's.  It's a cute little round pot that holds a 4-5 lb chicken perfectly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I have my mom's original corningware too.  My dad actually worked for Corning Glass Works for decades.  The one item that is even more significant is my mom's old manual meat grinder.  I think it was a wedding gift for her in 1956 and we used that thing every single Thanksgiving to make stuffing when we were growing up.    It is so old and worn  that the suction cups no longer stick to the counter!   My sister and I kept it going as long as we could until finally one Thanksgiving my hubby walked in and asked what the he** are you two doing?   Why are you struggling with that antique??   We laughed so hard we cried, sorry mom, after that we bought an electric grinder......LOL

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal  "my mom's old manual meat grinder."

WOW!  You brought back some sweet memories.  My father (did all the cooking) had the grinder that screwed onto the table like a wrench.  My siblings & I loved to watch him grind meats at the top & watch the "worms" come out the front.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at Thu, Jul 23, 2020-11.29.26 AM.png

🎶 Thanks for the memories.... 🎶