Super Contributor

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, which is best investment?

I am really interested in purchasing a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.  Which is the best buy for my money?  Also is the glass bowl better over the aluminum?  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, which is best investment?

I think it's personal preference.  I have the tilt head mixer and love it.  I was going to "upgrade" to the larger size but decided to stay with my tilt head.  It fits under my cabinets where the lift model wouldn't.  The only reason I would have needed the larger is for Christmas cookies (lots of baking coming up) and honestly, the tilt head works just fine.  I have both bowls, stainless goes in the freezer for whipped cream when I need it and i do like the glass bowl for mixing up batters. To the best of my knowledge, the glass is not freezer friendly. 

So ask yourself honestly how much are you going to use it, for what, and consider storage too.  I'm glad I have both bowls, I love the glass but for versatility and practicality if I could only have one would stay with stainless.  

The one thing I would add, hands down whichever model you choose is the scraping beater blade.  KA has them now but you can purcase them aftermarket as well.  Some great sales should be coming up with the holidays approaching.  

For me, it was a great investment and I would do it again in a NY minute.  

Good luck deciding! If you do purchase, let me know how you like it and which model you chose. 

Contributor

I've had the lift mixer for years and love it, but the tilt head would be easier to use when adding ingredients, etc.

Honored Contributor

Stainless bowls , hands down. If you drop no problem 'cept the mess you'll be cleaning up. Glass ! Yikes ! have to buy new bowl, plus, never get up all that broken glass be walking in it for months. Ouchy !

Cuisinart, is still the better mixer. They just don't give you a small bowl and one color option. LOL I got both brands to satisfy myself that I got the best of both worlds. You don't have to adjust a screw in the Cuisinart like you do KA. Beaters are either dragging or set to high up, then, sometimes the size of the bowl your using can affect beater placement in the stuff your mixing.

They state in booklet the beaters are set at factory, but, a man sets them and has never made anything in his life. The KA I got arrived damaged, plus , the beater was clanging , banging the side of the bowl. It was a train wreck. One call to Kitchen Aid and they sent me a new one and prepaid postage to put my damaged one in their box and mail back at their expense.    When she asked me how old it was I said "one day just got it from QVC".  LOL  She couldn't argue with that !

Respected Contributor

I love the look of those glass bowls but I'd probably never buy one for fear of dropping it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

I love the look of those glass bowls but I'd probably never buy one for fear of dropping it.

I would be very leery of the glass bowls. In "The Great British Baking Show" we saw a couple of the glass bowls break while the bakers were making stuff. (That was in the first season shown on PBS. In the second season shown on PBS they switched to a different mixer.) My old tilt head model has the stainless steel bowl and it's largely indestructible. I also wouldn't worry too much about the power ratings. I've used mine for decades now and it's on the lower powered size, but it's never had an issue with anything I make and I make some really stiff doughs on occasion.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer, I have the Artisan in black. I've had it for about 12 years and use it often. I got the glass bowl, which is very heavy and thick glass from BB&B and love that too. It was a bit pricey but it looks so much nicer on my counter and I like the fact it has a cover so you can store all the blades and everything is dust free.

Super Contributor

I was thinking of item #K43826 - 4.5 qt 300 W Tilthead Mixer with 3 qt Bowl.  Does anyone have this?  Is this a good or is item # K41789 4.5 qt 300 Tilthead Standing Mixer with Flex Edge the better buy?  Or is there another KitchAid Standing Mixer that is better?  Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Poppet1,  I just opened my paper and there is a Kohls flyer advertising a classic stand mixer for 249.99.  If you use the 10$ coupon code Home10 it drops to 239 and then use Pumpkin30 for an additional 30%.  Not sure youll find it much cheaper than that if its the model you want. 

Honored Contributor

That's an excellent price.   

@Jtdmum wrote:

Poppet1,  I just opened my paper and there is a Kohls flyer advertising a classic stand mixer for 249.99.  If you use the 10$ coupon code Home10 it drops to 239 and then use Pumpkin30 for an additional 30%.  Not sure youll find it much cheaper than that if its the model you want.