Honored Contributor

Kitchen Aid Processor or Chopper or Both?

I recently bought the KA 3.5 cup 2 speed chopper (K45786) then on free shipping day I bought the KA 7 cup food processor (K48106) because I liked to shred cheddar cheese for some recipes and thought I can chop celery and carrots for soup in it.   Now I am wondering if I should keep both or not.   I guess I could donate another item to make more space  and keep both of these, but as we all know space gets to be limited.   I'm trying to figure out if I'm duplicating an item or if it is really beneficial to have both.    I know we have a lot of cooks here that may have suggestions.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Processor or Chopper or Both?

I think it depends on what kind of cooking you do. I use the little 3.5 C chopper for nuts, bread crumbs, anything that I need ground or chopped quickly and easily.

Personally I'd rather grate cheese with my hand held grater that use an appliance - easier to get out and then throw in the dishwasher. 

I have a fairly large KA food processor - 12C I think - and I wouldn't use it for chopping carrots, onions, cabbage, etc unless I was making a huge batch of something. I guess I just prefer doing things by hand or processor based on whether it's worth the trouble to get the appliance out of the cupboard. I do have arthritis but I still don't mind chopping by hand if cleanup is easier.

However, I do use the food processor for mixing pie crust. It cuts the butter into the flour perfectly. For me that is worth it.

Conclusion - I think it comes down to personal preference and how much storage room you have.

Super Contributor

Hey Daysdee, if you really must choose between the 2, the 7-cup would get my vote.  It has a very decent footprint for its capacity PLUS it provide storage for the disks which is a serious bonus!  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@froggy I agree, there are some things I had rather do by hand. I tried grating cheese a LONG time ago in a processor & found it made such a mess, I had much rather use a hand grater. 

I just received the KA 3.5 c processor also. I have not used it yet, but can't wait to try it. I don't do a lot of chopping/processing these days, but the processor I had was much too small (1.5c). When I went to write a review, I was amazed at people who had questions about chopping ice in a processor. I wouldn't think that would work, but who knows. The reviews on this processor weren't too great, & I was worried. People seemed to have issues with removing the lid. It came right off for me. I took it on & off several times & no problems at all. 

Respected Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@froggy I agree, there are some things I had rather do by hand. I tried grating cheese a LONG time ago in a processor & found it made such a mess, I had much rather use a hand grater. 

I just received the KA 3.5 c processor also. I have not used it yet, but can't wait to try it. I don't do a lot of chopping/processing these days, but the processor I had was much too small (1.5c). When I went to write a review, I was amazed at people who had questions about chopping ice in a processor. I wouldn't think that would work, but who knows. The reviews on this processor weren't too great, & I was worried. People seemed to have issues with removing the lid. It came right off for me. I took it on & off several times & no problems at all. 

@TX-starlight

When I wrote my review of the 3.5 C chopper I said that if they were having problems they weren't doing it right! I practiced with the lids to both containers and I'm able to take the lids on and off with just a couple of fingers, even with my arthritic hand. I really don't get the problems.

I don't think I'd chop ice with my food processor - for one thing the flying ice might pit the plastic bowl. And I don't think that's the purpose of a food processor or chopper.

Honored Contributor

I have the 11 cup Cuisnart food processor and I had the little chopper----I got rid of the little one and use the big one all the time for all shredding, chopping and whatever else I need. The little one was so loud and whiny--drove me nuts. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on how much you prep and cook and what your preferances are in both areas. It sounds like you already that the tasks assigned for each product before purchase. I would keep both. You can always donate one later on if you notice that one is used more than the other. I find that I prefer certain tools to do certain jobs. If it makes the job easier than is it a useful tool. I believe that you need the right tool for the job whatever job is-- cooking or repairing a cabinet. It really does make a difference.