New Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Demonstration Made Me Sick Today

I rarely watch it live. I record ALL kitchen show so I went back & watched & watched until I saw those droplets actually on 2 separate presentations. I do not think it was blood? I would bet 'cha it was Vanilla extract! In baking, I think it is fairly common for ingredients, especially small amounts. I can see where it might look like blood, but I seriously doubt that was? Having been raised in the country & raising chickens, I wouldn't use an egg that has blood in it. (I also was taught to crack in separate dish, dump, repeat). That way you can reject, if necessary. Probably not gonna kill ya, but potential to get ill & as rare as it happens with store-bought eggs? My motto is, "When in doubt? Throw it out!"
New Contributor

I apologize, my phone won't let me edit & I realized I typed half of my thought so here is the rest of it

Think it is common for ingredients in small amounts, like extracts, to be added to other ingredients like eggs or milk, etc..•

Respected Contributor

Wow! i have cracked millions of eggs in my years and not found a blood spot. I grew up on a farm with chicken houses. I have handled billions of eggs since I could sit on the cart and pick them off the cages. We always cracked eggs into a small cup to make sure a rotten one didn't get thrown into the mix or the shell, but I have had a blood spot issue, but that was in the days before so much antibiotics and steroids were put into chickens. I still get my eggs from real chickens that live happily in the yard, so I don't have that problem still today, though many people may. Even then, blood spots aren't that common and won't hurt to use the egg in any recipe or dish.

Just out of course, you should always crack your eggs into a small bowl before adding to any dish just to check for quality. It started thousands of years ago and should still continue to be practice in your kitchen today, though our refrigerated eggs don't have the frequency of rotting problem of the days of old.

I suppose we didn't discriminate in our food as many urban people do since we knew there is nothing wrong with it and didn't have moneys to waste on perfectly good food. We also cut the mold off of cheese and keep eating the cheese as cheese is mold anyway. You cut the bruise out of a fruit and eat it and so on. I agree that for live TV it probably made people take issue, but larger crime is the waste of the food to begin with. That should make you far more sick than any blood spot in an egg.

Valued Contributor

EWWWWWWW

Valued Contributor

On 2/15/2015 Grams11 said: I rarely watch it live. I record ALL kitchen show so I went back & watched & watched until I saw those droplets actually on 2 separate presentations. I do not think it was blood? I would bet 'cha it was Vanilla extract! In baking, I think it is fairly common for ingredients, especially small amounts. I can see where it might look like blood, but I seriously doubt that was? Having been raised in the country & raising chickens, I wouldn't use an egg that has blood in it. (I also was taught to crack in separate dish, dump, repeat). That way you can reject, if necessary. Probably not gonna kill ya, but potential to get ill & as rare as it happens with store-bought eggs? My motto is, "When in doubt? Throw it out!"

yep {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Respected Contributor

Oh, and I'm a proponent of yard chickens, though it doesn't take but a few to control the insect population around the house without chemicals. The rest are in the hen house. Their small dropping fertilize the grass and are far less of a hassle than the large droppings left by the neighbor's dogs. No we don't have fence laws in the country, so we do get other far more unplesent things in our yards including bear skat being the worst unless one of the cows gets out or the various religious missionaries and vacuum cleaner salesmen find their way to the house, though the dogs keep them in check.

Honored Contributor

We have several folks around here with backyard chickens (pets only, for eggs, and not to eat them).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It's not a big deal to me. It happens but doesn't mean the egg is bad.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I think QVC forgets that some of us are watching on big screen hi def TVs. A few weeks ago a vendor had faux tanner stains all over her palms and fingernails like she figured we wouldn't notice. We do notice the little things.
Honored Contributor

It's only ""bad"" if you keep Kosher

♥Surface of the Sun♥