Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid - DON'T waste your money!

@Saffron2 wrote:

The newer prodcts are not made well, however, those that are much older are manufactured using good materials.  I would never buy a recent KA product.

I recently bought the cookbook "The Break Baker's Apprentice" and was surprised to read in there that new Kitchenaid mixers were not made to be used more than four minutes at a time to prevent undue stress on the motor, according to the manufacturer. That does indicate that the quality/design of them has changed a bit in recent years. I have mine chugging away for much longer than that at a time and have for decades now with no trouble. Sure, it may bounce around the counter a bit, but it handles the work with no trouble. Judging by that information, the newer ones don't handle the work as well.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

good post

Honored Contributor

I have the very basic KA stand mixer that I've had for 20+ years now that works just fine for how often I use it these days. but it worked just fine when I made masrshmallows and you have to run it for at least 10 minutes--however, my KA  hand mixer is cra^p and will deep six that soon.

Contributor

Don’t you think “Kitchen Aid - DON’T waste your money” is a little harsh?  Others use this product and are very happy with it.  I think you’re being a little dramatic.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Q started making Kitchen Aid products "especially for the QVC customer" the quality diminished greatly.

Gave my old one away for the new upgrades that Q promised.

Biggest mistake ever.

I don't know this for sure but I believe it.

I'm not falling for the QVC hype over any product anymore.   It's all hype and no quality.  I saw the HP computer this weekend, the Intel core processor was the i3 version, that's many years old.   The newer computers use i7 plus Intel is not the "end-all-be-all" it used to be.   But the i3 is definitely "cheap", adequate for home use.

Speaking of mixers, I'm still using my late mom's very old Sunbeam.   I've done cake batters "by hand" but it's not fun.   So much easier to use a stand mixer, I wouldn't be without one.    Many years ago Sunbeam made a stand mixer and you could pull off the top and use it as a hand mixer as well.   Not mine.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KP2 wrote:

I'm a baker and in the bakeries I've worked in, the mainstay appliance is Viking, but some of the smaller appliances used in some of the smaller bakeries I worked in were Kitchenaid.

I can confirm that Kitchenaid mixers are ****** made to sell at price-gouging amounts.  One mixer I used was brand new, the bakery just bought it, and after the second use of using it, the lift handle for the bowl stripped!  We couldn't get the bowl lowered again.  Another KA mixer at another bakery I worked at, the gears stripped out and we couldn't get it to change speeds anymore.  All in all, I think I use probably around a dozen different KA mixers and each one of them were pure ******.  Most of the bakeries that used these threw them out for other brands, which we never had any problems with.

My favorite mixer brand is Sunbeam.  I even bought a Sunbeam stand mixer for myself.  Iv'e been using it for years and have NEVER, EVER had any problems with it!  And on top of that, it's like a 1/4 of the price of those Kitchenaid mixers.

If you are going to invest in something decent, get something else, don't get Kitchenaid.  I've found that Sunbeam, Cuisineart, and Hamilton Beach make better products that Kitchenaid.

@KP2

Since you’re a professional baker, have you considered a Hobart 5 quart stand mixer?  Not expensive for what it is.   Heavy duty and built for a lifetime.

https://www.katom.com/617-N5060.html

I have this mixer along with a Hobart meat slicer, and a Hobart food processor.

I gave up with KA, Sunbeam, Hamilton Beach,  and Cusinart years ago.  They’re mostly light duty junk built to a price point.   Like those pedaled on QVC and HSN.  Can’t comment on the really old stuff since they’re made well  before my time.  They must be good if still going strong for 75+ years..    Smiley Very Happy

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Ahhhhhhhhh I beg to differ on Cuisinart. The big Cuisinart at Bed & Bath where I bought mine retails for 300 I used coupon and took off more.

Sure not "junk".

If you can afford 700-1500 for the Swedish made ones then I applaud you

Cuisinart, is a great machine for my at home needs and twice a yr baking big for the church get togethers.

Honored Contributor

Ankarsrum 

is the 700.00 and up mixers. Made in Sweden.

Respected Contributor

@tassimo wrote:

Don’t you think “Kitchen Aid - DON’T waste your money” is a little harsh?  Others use this product and are very happy with it.  I think you’re being a little dramatic.

Yes.  Really harsh, but some get carried away when trying to promote their personal choices.  I love KA products and have had very good results.  I purchased 2 KA convection bake ovens a few months ago.  One as a gift.  It's absolutely fab, and is definitely an upgrade from everything else I saw on the market.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

@tassimo wrote:

Yes.  Really harsh, but some get carried away when trying to promote their personal choices.  I love KA products and have had very good results.  I purchased 2 KA convection bake ovens a few months ago.  One as a gift.  It's absolutely fab, and is definitely an upgrade from everything else I saw on the market.

@MomCat

1. KA is not what it use to be.  When they were built to last and made in America.
  2. Where is yours made?  KA now uses cheap  materials, and either made in China or Mexico.  KA is survivng on name alone.    
  3. This is better by far:
  4. https://www.katom.com/062-CCOH4208240.html?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&msclkid=a61f3169675d137d03...