Honored Contributor

King Arthur AP Flour Recall

[ Edited ]

Just received this email from King Arthur.

Voluntary Recall of Limited Quantity 5 lb. All-Purpose Flour Bags

As a valued King Arthur Flour customer and member of our baking community, we'd like to make you aware that we have voluntarily recalled a limited quantity of 5 lb. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour bags from six specific LOT codes:

BEST USED BY 12/07/19 LOT: L18A07C
BEST USED BY 12/08/19 LOTS: L18A08A, L18A08B
BEST USED BY 12/14/19 LOTS: L18A14A, L18A14B, L18A14C

The recalled Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (5 lb.) was distributed through retailers and distributors nationwide. No products sold through our website, Baker’s Catalogue, or the Baker’s Store in Norwich, VT are included in this recall.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — June 13, 2019 - Norwich, VT — In cooperation with ADM Milling Company, King Arthur Flour, Inc. is voluntarily recalling 14,218 cases of 5 lb. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour due to the potential presence of Escherichia coli bacteria (E. coli).

You can find more info at KingArthurFlour dot com slash voluntary recall.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: King Arthur AP Flour Recall

Thanks for sharing, @Nightowlz - E. coli is no joke! I'm glad none of my flour has those batch numbers.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting, just dumped a new 5 pound bag in my Lock n Lock container. I don't know the number. Will throw it out and get another and check the numbers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just checked mine. I have a bag in the refrigerator plus a bag in the freezer. They both have Nov 19 as best used by dates on them so I'm good.

Regular Contributor

Even with this, I think King Arthur flour is fantastic flour. I have used only this brand for years.

Honored Contributor

I am wondering if I am being duped buying KAF.  I thought they maybe had more of their own sources and milling facilities.  

Now I'm thinking they just have the same flour as Gold Medal etc only they rebrand theirs OR it is simply milled to a different protein content listing, but is still basically the same wheat going through the same mill.

They may just mix the wheat differently (different loads of wheat from different farms and different conditions may have different protein content).  I don't know that I will spend more for their flour in the future. 

Since my dad farmed, I DO know that there are different grades of all farm products.  The same canning plants can many brands of green beans for instance, and the same beans but the lower quality may go for one band.  Maybe more miscut beans, maybe more runs with flaws of some kind.  But the beans are beans.

So I guess KAF just has the same old flour as any brand, but with a different specification for the mill run.

Honored Contributor

I don't see any reason for a recall on the notice the OP posted.  It doesn't mention E. Coli.  Very strange.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624  On link to website that OP posted it, it specifically states -recall due to potential "E.coli".

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't see any reason for a recall on the notice the OP posted.  It doesn't mention E. Coli.  Very strange.

@Kachina624 

I added the info regarding E. Coli to my OP from their site.

Honored Contributor

I always thought they took more care then that. Really surprised.

I got one bag of Bread Flour is all not all purpose. 

As much as I bake bread, rolls if I'd had a bad bag I'd be dead by now

LOL