Honored Contributor

Re: Key Lime Pie From Fresh Market

@on the bay : Yes. It was my first taste of key lime pie and the waitress was watching my reactions. Then the restaurant baker came to our table. He stressed the best fresh ingredients and that included only real key limes but smiled and refused to give recipe. What I tasted today for me was the ultimate yuk, I hate to throw out food but the only pie DH eats is chocolate and pumpkin. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee -

That sounds so like my experience!

We must have had the same waitressSmiley Happy

Watching how I liked it (I think they are very proud of the true key limes),

and explaining the key limes.Woman Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay : Yes, totally agree. ❤️Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

Keylime is nice on occasion and I love squirting fresh key limes in water but I don't eat much key lime pie. Im more a chocolate person.

It shouldn't be green that I can tell you! Keylimes are yellow 

I haven't bought any in a while but I think fresh market has great pastries. The napoleons are on sale right now and they are yummy!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG : Busy reading recipes for key lime pie. Ingredients included : condensed milk. Any possibility  the condensed milk was bad resulting in the metallic taste? Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SouthernBee The pie I got was "good", but not the best ever!  

Since then, a friend whom is a native of Florida, says the key lime at Public's bakery area is the most authentic.  

Maybe some of our Fla gals will give us their input.

@Andreatoo 

@rockygems123 
 @ScrapHappy 

@SurferWife 

I don't like in Florida but close.  Like I said, I don't like key lime pie.  But I do like every Kenny's Pies I've tried so far (mango, silk pie, coconut custard, lemom ice box, peanut butter and chocolate).  Kenny's sells to both Kroger and Publix but the only kind I've seen in the stores are key lime.  They usually have some personal.individual sized pie along side of their 9 inch pie, if I find a small one, I will try it and report back.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  @SouthernBee 

I received this recipe sometime in mid 70's when I was teaching at Coconut Grove Elementary, Miami, Florida. The parent sold her pies to The Taurus Restaurant in Coconut Grove.

KEY LIME PIe

small 8 inch

1 can sweetened condensed milk Eagle Brand

1/2 cup lime juice (preferably key lime but plain limes or Realime)

graham cracker crust

Put milk into bowl. Slowly beat in lime juice on low speed of mixer. The lime will "cook" the milk because of its high acidity. But if you go to fast it curdles. It will thicken as you beat it.

Pour into crust. Chill about 3-4 hours. Serve. You can add whipped  cream or meringue, but not necessary.

Just remembered student's name. Had him in kdgn! 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@ECBG : Busy reading recipes for key lime pie. Ingredients included : condensed milk. Any possibility  the condensed milk was bad resulting in the metallic taste? Southern Bee

@SouthernBee Thank you.  The "metallic taste" didn't come from me.  I use sweetened condensed milk in desserts and have never had a problem with it.

I just thought it was a little bland.

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee : Thanks for sharing and the recipe sounds delicious. Next shopping trip will purchase ingredients. I have never made a key lime pie. Southern Bee

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ECBG : Sorry that I did  not express my experience clearly. It was me that had the very strong metallic taste after eating a piece of the pie. This really surprised me and trying to determine what caused the metallic taste. Southern Bee