Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keurig environment and health concerns

readysk8, Pamela and sooner: thank you for your logic!

Personally, I don't recycle anything. It's done at the trash plants where my waste goes.

And OP, since I'm sure you use some green, organic, free trade coffee grounds, I hope you know they are doing more harm to the environment than k-cups.

Google that.

Actually, use Blackle instead of Google. You'll lower your carbon footprint!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

On 11/17/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Calm down. If you do single-stream recycling, most k-cups are able to be recycled. You must rinse them out, but then you just add them to your single-stream recycling container. I haven't put a used k-cup in the trash for a long time.

I don't know where you get your erroneous info, PamelaSue, but Keurig itself admits its K-cups are not recyclable.

http://www.keuriggreenmountain.com/en/Sustainability/SustainableProducts/OurProducts/ReducingProduct...

What's happening is that your recycling company is trashing them at their plant rather than you doing at home. So you might want to stop feeling so smug & condescending. You are choosing the most environmentally unfriendly way there is to enjoy your hot beverages.

Super Contributor

And for the record, I don't drink coffee at all, nor has my household ever used disposable diapers. We pre-cycle as much as possible, recycle everything possible and never generate more than half a white kitchen garbage bag of trash each week. I stand by what I've said, using the Keurig is an extremely selfish and short-sighted way to get a cup of coffee.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/19/2014 Cinder63 said:
On 11/17/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Calm down. If you do single-stream recycling, most k-cups are able to be recycled. You must rinse them out, but then you just add them to your single-stream recycling container. I haven't put a used k-cup in the trash for a long time.

I don't know where you get your erroneous info, PamelaSue, but Keurig itself admits its K-cups are not recyclable.

http://www.keuriggreenmountain.com/en/Sustainability/SustainableProducts/OurProducts/ReducingProduct...

What's happening is that your recycling company is trashing them at their plant rather than you doing at home. So you might want to stop feeling so smug & condescending. You are choosing the most environmentally unfriendly way there is to enjoy your hot beverages.

Honey, around here, we ARE recycling k-cups. I work in an office and my office-mate is the recycling coordinator for our county. We just had a huge meeting for single-stream recycling in our building and we ARE recycling k-cups through single-stream. The company in charge of the single-stream also specifically mentioned k-cups and said they are recycling them; I specifically asked him about k-cups. I'm also single-streaming at home and the guy who picks up our recycling specifically told me k-cups are ok....only for single-stream, though, not for regular recycling.

Single-stream allows you to recycle items you wouldn't normally be able to recycle. You know those plastic margarine containers? They usually have a #5 stamped on the bottom? You can't recycle them normally, but with single-stream you can. Single-stream accepts all plastics from 1-7, not just 1 and 2 like with regular recycling. Even those plastic containers of scoopable cat litter. You can't recycle them, but if you do single-stream, you can add them to your container. Empty aerosol cans are single-streamed recyclable. You can add books (hard cover and soft cover) to your container. You can add all kinds of things when you do single-stream recycling. I even rinse out my yogurt cups and throw them in the container. Both at home and at work. And if you're wondering where I'm getting my information, I am typing right from a list of items that are acceptable for single-stream recycling. I've been doing single-stream for months now at home, and like I said, we've started doing it at work now, too.

Edited after talking to my office mate about single stream recycling and after he gave me a list of items that can be recycled using single stream recycling. That way I'm not giving out "erroneous info".

Super Contributor

Perhaps you should inform Keurig, then. I will continue to take my information from the manufacturer.

Trusted Contributor

I think what's happening is that Keurig is probably saying that you can't recycle k-cups. And truly, using normal recycling procedures, you cannot do so. But single stream is completely different. Keurig probably needs to update their information. I'm just happy to have a way to recycle those items that can't normally be recycled.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday Leaf Blowers, today k-cups......................sigh

Trusted Contributor

uh-oh. We have a leaf blower. We use it blow the leaves into a pile so that we can mulch them for use in our composter. Is that bad? Am I in trouble for that?

Esteemed Contributor

I have been an avid recycler, but living in an apt in NY I have been limited by what the City Sanitation Dept. can give to its recycling vendor. However, several years ago they expanded the plastics recycling program to take things like yogurt and deli containers which previously were forbidden. K cups and other rigid plastic pods are now recyclable here (emptied and rinsed out.) I have been yearning for a Keurig for sometime and may now get one. With my recycling, my mind is at ease.

Esteemed Contributor

Cinder63, I've wondered the same exact thing! Seems like a lot of waste and a lot of plastic going into the landfills.