Valued Contributor

I've had this coffeemaker for about 2 years and really like it.  It is the K79 Platinum Plus model.  About a month ago it was not working properly, not making a full cup when brewing and barely a trickle coming out.  I de-scaled the thing and it worked fine for about a month.  It is acting up again already so I repeated the de-scaling process.  My question is how long have any of you found these coffee makers to last before having to be replaced.  I don't mind cleaning it regularly, but isn't every month a bit often?  The water in my area is not unusually hard and has never been a problem in the past or with other appliances.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keurig coffeemaker question

@Kardi - I've had that problem as well. I noticed some of the K cups have a bigger grind than others. What I've done is take a paper clip and unbend it - then stick it up into the metal thingy (very technical term) and do the same for the bottom portion. Then run a cup of water through - you might have to do it a couple of times - HTH

Honored Contributor

I bought a model from QVC and experienced the same problems. I called the Keurig hotline and they walked me through a cure.

When it was beyond "help" - even though it was well over 18 months old - Keurig had me read them the model number, they verified it's age - and SENT ME A NEW KEURIG.

No charge, not even for shipping.

Great service!

I believe that the brand of K cup does lead to issues. I prefer the Trader Joe's biodegradable cups for their price, flavor and recycling...but they dirty up a machine a lot faster than K cups certified by the manufacturer.

Trusted Contributor

My friend just threw hers out. She said she had mold in it. She decided to open the whole thing and there was mold everywhere. Does anyone have this problem which evidently is rampant when she did a Google search. 

Trusted Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

My friend just threw hers out. She said she had mold in it. She decided to open the whole thing and there was mold everywhere. Does anyone have this problem which evidently is rampant when she did a Google search. 

I was worried about this. I have an old one that I just got rid of. I was tempted to bust it open just to see what it looked like inside. They always store water inside. There is no way to remove that water. It is a warm, dark, moist environment. Seems like mold & bacteria would be everywhere... It's kind of scary. 

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one on QVC special last year.  Made one cup of coffee and it was way too strong.  Machine sat on the counter for 4 months unused - too much work to clean (read about mold) and taking up valuable space - I just dropped the whole system off at charity.  It's easier (and cheaper) to get rid of it while it's still new & working than to call the trash company to haul it away.    Still enjoying perked coffee here!

Respected Contributor

I have the orignal Platnium version from Q. I've had it since 07, so 9 years without an issue.  I use it daily, several times a day.  I have well water and don't have issues with de-scalling or anything.  It may also be your water that causes extra build-up, but you probably need to clean the needles of any grounds that have worked their way into it.

Respected Contributor

Oh, you can also do a weak solution of vinegar water through it. Just run a few cycles of it and let it then sit for 15 minutes with the vinegar water in the tank to clean that, then flush again. Finally do a few cycles of clean water.
Esteemed Contributor

I have had mine since January of 2009.It was from their platinum collection.I have never had a problem with it! I use filtered water .I keep a Brita pitcher next to it and refill as needed.About Once a month I clean the needles with a damp paper towel.

Where did you find the mold? Was it noticeable from the outside? I never heard of it happening before.Should I be concerned?

Respected Contributor

I got a Keurig from QVC and it worked for less than a month.  I never found the time to send it back and ended up throwing it out.  I will never buy that junk again.