Valued Contributor

Re: Keurig/Green Mountain is being bought by an investor group

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@ctinaw wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I just read several articles stating how poorly sales of Keurigs are doing these days, mainly due to the negative environmental impact their k-cups are causing. Even the k-cups that are supposedly recycleable are not 100% recycleable- just parially. I know Green Mountain is working on a 100% recycleable k-cup but for now, none are, despite some (misleading) claims.

I think also the plain fact that Keurigs make terrible coffee! There is absolutely no way to get a "good" cup of coffee out of a Keurig - period! (and exclamation point). The gimmick has finally worn off and now people realize that maybe making a pot of coffee that tastes good is better than getting one cup of terrible coffee after all.

@ctinaw - Well, I respectfully disagree with you.  We've had no trouble making a good cup of coffee in our household and we find it much better than wasting an entire pot, when we only want one cup.  Just because you don't like the coffee you've made (if you've ever even owned a Keurig), doesn't mean it's a "fact" that it's terrible.  ((Double exclamation point!!)

We've had our Keurig machine for years and haven't had a single problem with it, so I'm not sure what the issues are that others may have had.  We also have the reuseable K-Cup so we can use whatever coffee we want.

No, it actually is a fact. It is impossible to brew a good cup of coffee in a Keurig. The personal K cups don't work well and clog the machine, the pre-fabricted ones are made with old coffee roasted and ground who knows how long ago. K-cup preference aside - the brew temperature of a Keurig is not high enough for an optimal coffee brew in any situation this IS a fact - nor does it steep long enough for an optimal brew - also a fact. And yes, I have owned a Keurig. I won't ever make that mistake again. It's great for convenience but that's it. So enjoy your convenient tasteless water/coffee. I'll stick with my Technivorm and freshly ground/roasted coffee in exchange for about 5 extra minutes of work every day.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Keurig I bought was not used that often and broke after a year. I feel like a complete idiot spending that much on a coffee maker. I am back to my $20.00 Black and Decker. I learned a valuable lesson on that purchase. I don't trust newly designed products.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I just read several articles stating how poorly sales of Keurigs are doing these days, mainly due to the negative environmental impact their k-cups are causing. Even the k-cups that are supposedly recycleable are not 100% recycleable- just parially. I know Green Mountain is working on a 100% recycleable k-cup but for now, none are, despite some (misleading) claims.

I wonder why this investment group bought them at a HUGE profit to the shareholders if sales are so bad.

Why would anyone want to invest BIG bucks in a losing proposition?

Honored Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@ctinaw wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I think also the plain fact that Keurigs make terrible coffee! There is absolutely no way to get a "good" cup of coffee out of a Keurig - period! (and exclamation point). The gimmick has finally worn off and now people realize that maybe making a pot of coffee that tastes good is better than getting one cup of terrible coffee after all.

@ctinaw - Well, I respectfully disagree with you.  We've had no trouble making a good cup of coffee in our household and we find it much better than wasting an entire pot, when we only want one cup.  Just because you don't like the coffee you've made (if you've ever even owned a Keurig), doesn't mean it's a "fact" that it's terrible.  ((Double exclamation point!!)

We've had our Keurig machine for years and haven't had a single problem with it, so I'm not sure what the issues are that others may have had.  We also have the reuseable K-Cup so we can use whatever coffee we want.

No, it actually is a fact. It is impossible to brew a good cup of coffee in a Keurig. The personal K cups don't work well and clog the machine, the pre-fabricted ones are made with old coffee roasted and ground who knows how long ago. K-cup preference aside - the brew temperature of a Keurig is not high enough for an optimal coffee brew in any situation this IS a fact - nor does it steep long enough for an optimal brew - also a fact. And yes, I have owned a Keurig. I won't ever make that mistake again. It's great for convenience but that's it. So enjoy your convenient tasteless water/coffee. I'll stick with my Technivorm and freshly ground/roasted coffee in exchange for about 5 extra minutes of work every day.

@ctinaw -Thank you.  I will enjoy my "convenient tasteless water/coffee".  I didn't realize that I was talking to the world expert on coffee brewing, but I bow to your superior intelligence.

I must say though that my Keurig machine has never clogged, whether I've used the K-Cup or my own filter.  Never.  (Cleanliness helps!)

Your response is incredibly condescending, but it's understandable given your self-professed knowledge of how "old" the coffee in K-Cups is and "optimal temperatures".  I lived in Europe for 20 years and drank a wide range of coffee.  I can decide for myself what I think is acceptable.

But again - thank you so much for your concern and your indisputable assurance of the "facts".

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Sure love my Nespresso!  

Just used my new Nespresso  machine to make a cappuccino- oh my gosh so delicious! No Keurig or regular coffee maker can come close. Reminds me of the coffee I drank while in Europe. So delicious and easy! Now I just need to figure out how to do those fancy designs with the milk, lol.