Occasional Contributor

Can I descale my Keurig with vinegar and water? 

Trusted Contributor

Yes. There are instructions in the owner’s manual or you can find them online.

Honored Contributor

I bought the old machine that makes a lot of noise. There was no special descaler or water filter attachments which is why I think it lasted since 2008. Knock wood.

I descale periodically with vinegar poured into the reservoir- I run it several times and then use the vinegar to clean my drains with baking soda.

Respected Contributor

I've used a vinegar/water solution to clean our Keurig, but I don't have to do it very often.  We always use distilled water in the water chamber.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

I use filtered water and also clean with vinegar and do several rinses.  I have also been buying the Keurig rinse cups.   Seems to save me from changing the filter so often.  They recommend it for use after making hot cocoa or flavored coffees.  I don't make cocoa and I also use the same flavored coffees.  I think it does save on having to do the vinegar cleaning as often.

Respected Contributor

How often do you recommend running vinegar through the Keurig ? I take 1/2 cup water and 1/2 white vinegar and run it through one time once every 6 months. Should I be doing it more often ?

Honored Contributor

@Reever

I think it depends on your water and how often you use the keurig and what kinds of drinks you use with it. My water is good and I run it once a year and rinse it several times. I then use lots of water before the vinegar smell is gone from my reservoir. Getting the smell out takes longer than the cleaning.