Respected Contributor

Re: Keep the pie, just give me the berries!

A question to any of you who buy fruit whether berries, citrus or any kind:  Do you try to find and buy organic and do you have access to organic fruit where you live?  I buy organic when possible but it is quite pricy unfortunately. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ   Yes, I have access to organic but I don't buy it because of the price.  

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

A question to any of you who buy fruit whether berries, citrus or any kind:  Do you try to find and buy organic and do you have access to organic fruit where you live?  I buy organic when possible but it is quite pricy unfortunately. 

@KKJ I almost always buy organic when available.  I can often get it, but since we're doing pickups it is a little harder.  I won't buy bell peppers or celery for sure or a few other things if I can't get organic. 

I can say that many times organic produce tastes better and I am convinced some of the bitterness (apples are better) is from residue that is difficult or impossible to wash off.

Respected Contributor

I cheat and use the Pillsbury pie crust.  Many compliments on it. 

I see a lot of Cobblers here, but No one has yet mentioned fruit Crumble.

I started making Crumbles for my dad when he had trouble eating the fruit. the shape and the "hardness".   He had trouble with the smooth  sheet of pastry too, It was hard for him to position to chew. 

Crumble Nixes the pie crust and just cooks the fruit with a sweet  crumbly topping.  fruit ends up being soft and the textured crumble can be squashed into it in little pieces if one chooses.

It can be made up, quick as a flash and is great with ice cream.

His eyes would light up when he saw crumble for dessert.

Respected Contributor

Blackberries and Strawberries for me.  I've never cared for blueberries or raspberries.  

Trusted Contributor

Real
Homemade pie crust is to die for. I love the berries especially Blackberries but the cost for them has made any berry dessert on a special day only. Our State sprayed all the wild blackberries and killed them off so even if you found some you would not know if they had been sprayed and came back. It would cost just for the berries to have a nice pie over 30.00 or more.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE berries. Blackberries are my favorite, followed by Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries and Cranberries. With the exception of the cranberries, I like to eat them just as they are, although I have added a little fresh whipped cream to a bowl of berries every once in awhile. Heart