Honored Contributor

Watching a WFPB video with chef Jeff Novick & he's cooking with Kasha, toasting before cooking. Gosh I remember eating that waaaay back in the day. I even remember a 'Seinfeld' episode talking about it...giggle. Might have to revisit buckwheat. Yum.

Valued Contributor

I LOVE stuffed cabbage but no longer eat meat (going on 40 yrs). I stuff my cabbage and peppers with kasha. Delish!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor
On 11/29/2014 SuesCat said:

I LOVE stuffed cabbage but no longer eat meat (going on 40 yrs). I stuff my cabbage and peppers with kasha. Delish!

Recipe, please!! Nom, nom, nom.

Valued Contributor

I never use recipes! I just "feel" and smell my way through the cooking process!

Generally, saute some onion, add the cooked kasha to it. Season with your preferred amount of salt, pepper, i have also added a bit of cumin and nutmeg but that's been dicey as far as outcome! To separate the cabbage, i core it and cover the whole head with water, bring to boil. Then you should be able to just pull the leaves off with tongs. Roll the kasha in the leaves. Single layer in baking dish or pan. Cover with a layer of tomato soup! 350 degrees under an hour. Actually, i mix a little bit of ketchup in the tomato soup to sweeten it. Not too much, though!

Peppers, pretty much the same deal, but mix the tomato soup in with the kasha before stuffing the peppers. Hth! Cheers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )