Esteemed Contributor

Re: KITCHENAID MINI STAND MIXER

Thank you everyone!  Your responses were a great help!:womanhappy

In case anyone's wondering I ordered the Matte Avocado Cream - it's hard to tell exactly what the color is, perhaps a grayish mid green (?), but, I'll be baking a lot moreWoman LOL!

P.S.  From your advice, I can tell you all are great cooks!!!  I'll be looking for your recipes in the Recipe forum!!!Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@orphan annie325 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SMEG?

SMEG is a brand kinda in a retro theme, yet goes with everything.  Their appliances are very solidly built and come in great colors and styles.  I believe they're made in Italy - not sure.  

The SMEG small appliances may be designed in Italy but they are manufactured in China. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and a Hamilton Beach hand mixer.  I never use the hand mixer.  Ever.  I use my KitchenAid stand mixer for everything from cakes, cookies, whipped cream, mashed potatoes, meringues, and even meatloaf.  Best investment I ever made.  Love it.  I don't use it every single day, but when I have a bunch of baking or cooking to do, it is a wonderful, powerful thing.   I have the 4.5 quart and at times I had purchased the larger model.  I love mine!

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it's kind of weird about the SMEG brand. Family owned Italian business , but, they have China to assemble them (cheaper labor I'd guess) but designed solid and smooth running what I like about mine.

You can tell from the get go if something is gonna be good or not and mine was smooth as butter out of the box. It should last till I don't need it any more. LOL

tombstone.gif

Honored Contributor

I spent my whole life, including cooking for a family, using nothing more than a small GE hand mixer.  I made many batches of cookies, always doubling the recipe, made many cakes, mashed potatoes,  everything for which you use a mixer.  A stand mixer is not essential unless you just want one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

or 3 

ROFL

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I spent my whole life, including cooking for a family, using nothing more than a small GE hand mixer.  I made many batches of cookies, always doubling the recipe, made many cakes, mashed potatoes,  everything for which you use a mixer.  A stand mixer is not essential unless you just want one.

Absolutely true.

However my appliances save me a lot of time and my hand strength and stamina are not good for kneading dough. But I don't NEED them. I WANT them.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

You know, OP, I bought my very basic, white KA stand mixer almost 30 years ago, from Target for $169. I think the mini one is 2x that much. It does just fine when I use it. I think about buying a new one but it works great for what I want--my point----you can do a little or alot for a much lesser price.  In mho, of course.

I was at Target yesterday and they had a color I've never seen before---it was the poppy color that matches one of my fav color of fiestaware I have. Not sure what the name of the color was but I loved it-----It was the standard size mixer. 

Honored Contributor

For the budget conscious Walmart has one on sale for 199 in todays circular

Esteemed Contributor