Esteemed Contributor

Re: KITCHENAID MINI STAND MIXER

I have both and use both often. The hand mixer is great for simple recipes like a boxed cake mix or a quick bread with a thick batter (like zucchini bread) or whipped cream, but I rely on the stand mixer for pretty much everything else. There are so many more things you can do with that powerful motor and the hands-off nature of the mixing that I've never regretted my purchase for a moment.

A friend who is not much of a baker was also recently contemplating this decision, and since the one thing she really enjoys baking is multiple batches of Christmas cookies, she ended up going with the regular-size KA Artisan stand mixer. She leaves it in her pantry because it only gets used a few times a year, but she says she can't imagine not having it available.

Other considerations you may want to keep in mind in deciding whether you want a stand mixer: Do you have the space for it? Do you think you'd use any of the attachments for specialty cooking/baking? Are you planning to make doughs or breads on a fairly regular basis? (If this last one is a "yes," you definitely want a stand mixer.)

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme   I have both and the stand mixer is invaluable when baking large quantities.  It is very heavy and I store it in a cabinet, so if you aren't going to leave it on the counter, it can be heavy to lift and move.

If you are interested in getting one, check out Best Buy today - I see that they have some as low as $199 and some others are $200 off the price.   Many colors.

I got mine many years ago from Mervyn's and wasn't sure if I would use, but I've had it for probably 30 years now, I use it pretty frequently, and it looks and works like it's brand new.

I did get the extra attachment that shreds - it works really well and if you need to shred carrots or cheese, it's a must have. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When HSN has them like I told folks few wks or month ago they had the SMEG for 299, free shp, lot cheaper then what I paid for mine.

445.00   Now HSN has them back up to 459, plus shp and tax but, I got mine in color I wanted , 2 day wait 445 total.

All these deals at HSN  are for one day only and you have to be Johnny on the spot to catch 'em and usually come at a bad time.

I just get it when I can swing it and pay more. LOL   I like to order more from the smaller retailers they take better care of their inventory. I ordered my SMEG from Everythingkitchens.   Free shp, no tax to Texas and I had some reward points saved up to apply.  Their shipping is beyond spectacular !

You order, say, on Monday and it's yours by Wed.   that's what I'm talking about. LOL

Trusted Contributor

any thing  kitchenaide is now a piece of worthless junk.  i have had two kitchenaide fridges that last less then 4 years conbined.

i have a stand mixer that i have had repaired three times.  if it were me, i would go with anolther brand or find a good old used one from the 50'ws or 60's.

a driend goes to estate sales weekly and he told me that they go for about $30.00 with all the attachements.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  - thanx.  I got the mini which is much lighter.  WS.Walmart, and KA are selling certain colors for 219 w/20%disc).  KA had the largest additional discount so got it there.

The shredder attachment sounds great - will eventually check into accessories. Thanx!

Esteemed Contributor

@shark -

I saw your post a day late!  The KA I just ordered was 210 w/tax - liked my old one 'til it broke so hope I'll like this mini!

Thanx.

Frequent Contributor

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SMEG?

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

I have both and use both often. The hand mixer is great for simple recipes like a boxed cake mix or a quick bread with a thick batter (like zucchini bread) or whipped cream, but I rely on the stand mixer for pretty much everything else. There are so many more things you can do with that powerful motor and the hands-off nature of the mixing that I've never regretted my purchase for a moment.

A friend who is not much of a baker was also recently contemplating this decision, and since the one thing she really enjoys baking is multiple batches of Christmas cookies, she ended up going with the regular-size KA Artisan stand mixer. She leaves it in her pantry because it only gets used a few times a year, but she says she can't imagine not having it available.

Other considerations you may want to keep in mind in deciding whether you want a stand mixer: Do you have the space for it? Do you think you'd use any of the attachments for specialty cooking/baking? Are you planning to make doughs or breads on a fairly regular basis? (If this last one is a "yes," you definitely want a stand mixer.)

Good luck!

Thanx, @loriqvc .  I plan on using it for pie/pizza dough and cookies.  I'm appalled at the cost of the store-made cookies now - and there're not that good!  Hopefully, I'll use it for a lot more as it'll be on the counter it's only apx 14long and 11wide and 14high so got room for it.  Hate a crowded counter, but if it's not there, I don't use it.Woman Wink

I ordered the matte avocado cream - hard to tell on my laptop exactly what color that is, but it'll blend!

Respected Contributor

I have many KA items - hand mixer, 7 qt stand mixer, mini stand mixer, 14C food processer, 3 cup chopper, double convection oven and stovetop, and 16 year old fridge - and have never had an ounce of trouble with any of them.

As to the mixers I use each for different purposes. The 7 qt is for double batches of yeast dough for bread, rolls, etc. The hand mixer I use mainly for when I need it by the stove top for things like mashed potatoes that I just want to do quickly. I use the mini stand mixer way more than I thought I would - single box cake or dessert mixes, and quick breads like zucchini bread in the summer. My stand mixers sit out on the counter top where I can easily access them.

Esteemed Contributor

@orphan annie325 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SMEG?

SMEG is a brand kinda in a retro theme, yet goes with everything.  Their appliances are very solidly built and come in great colors and styles.  I believe they're made in Italy - not sure.  

As @SharkE  mentioned, they're sold on HSN.  You can also just do a SMEG search and you'll get to their large appliances also.