Esteemed Contributor

I'm thinking of getting a KA stand mixer.  I used to have a refurbished stand mixer, purchased from O but it bit the dust and replaced it with a hand mixer.  But, I find the hand mixer, bowl, cord awkward and just not coordinated as the KA lady!  So, thinking of purchasing a mini - just dumping in cake mix, etc., turning it on and voila!  So much easier!

However, will this purchase be worth my while?  So, I'm asking if you prefer the stand mixer and opposed to the hand mixer?  And, if so, what uses do you get out of it, other than the standard cake/brownie mix?

Thanks for your advice!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: KITCHENAID MINI STAND MIXER

I've had a kitchen aid stand mixer for probably 30 years.  I don't cook or bake much, but I love it for when I need it.  When I do bake, I bake from scratch, and wouldn't want to do that with a hand mixer.  I also make whipped cream with this.  The right tools make any job easier.  If you bake a lot, you'll appreciate it.  If it's only once or twice a year... and a cake mix, you probably don't need it.

Respected Contributor

What’s a mini? Artisan?  

A stand mixer is easier to use on thicker batters - cc cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies etc and recipes that call for adding flour etc slowly (hold bowl, hold handheld mixer, add flour - need 3 hands or stop put down mixer)

If you are only using it for box brownies and box cake mixes, I’d stick with a hand mixer.  Much easier to store and much cheaper.

Honored Contributor

I always wanted a KA stand mixer. DH purchased one for me and was great for a few years then the band around the mixer while using would pop off and scare me. Had issues with customer service but finally replaced it. We didn’t have anyone locally for appliances service. The ones made during my mother’s lifetime was built with metal parts and not plastic. My replacement mixer leaks a lot of oil out of the back and I have to keep something under it to prevent damage to my counter top. I called KA customer service and advised the oil leak was from not using the mixer and letting it sit. The other day while mixing ingredients- added an egg and it popped out in my face- it had slipped into a higher speed. When this stops working will purchase another brand stand mixer. Just stating what I have dealt with.Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

I have the mini and I use it so much more.

It has a smaller footprint and weighs less.

The standard size took up too much room on the countertop so it had to be stored on a shelf in the pantry and it was heavy.  It hardly ever got used, out of sight out of mind.  I finally gave it to my daughter when she moved out on her own.

Regular Contributor

I have both mixers and use them for different things.  For a cake or brownie mix I will use the hand mixer.  Just used my mini stand mixer for a double batch of lemon blueberry bread and it worked great!  Love it for cookie dough and whipped cream. 

Used to have the large stand mixer and it took up so much room so I gave it to my nephew.  The size of the mini and the small attachments were shocking!  I thought they never would work as well as my large mixer but I was wrong.  It is just as powerful as my larger mixer and takes up half the space on my counter. 

You can find uses for both a hand held and stand mixer.  Good luck with your decision. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee 

The full size one I owned, which was refurbished, I learned that there was a period of time KA had switched to plastic or something inside - didn't quite understand it - but those models purchased during that period did not hold up at all.  I figured that's what I had gotten:  mine was fine, then one day it just wouldn't work anymore!

Supposedly they've switched back to the original method.  However, nothing nowadays is like years ago.

Honored Contributor

I got the red KA mini from Bed and Bath.  Pretty good machine better then the full sized one I ordered and had to send back , twice.

My SMEG rules though, best purchase I ever made. Cuisinart, is great too, but, it's now in hallway cabinet if I ever need 2 full size mixers and a mini I'll be loaded for bear. LOL

Still sometimes break out the hand mixer from Cuisinart used it while ago just to mash potatoes for me since I'm by myself today.

mixer2-vi.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

What’s a mini? Artisan?  

A stand mixer is easier to use on thicker batters - cc cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies etc and recipes that call for adding flour etc slowly (hold bowl, hold handheld mixer, add flour - need 3 hands or stop put down mixer)

If you are only using it for box brownies and box cake mixes, I’d stick with a hand mixer.  Much easier to store and much cheaper.

@scatcat  the Artisan Mini is a 3.5qt version of the regular KA Artisan mixer.  It's a smaller footprint and much lighter than the original version.

You sumed up my feelings regarding the handheld - need 3 hands - which discourages me from doing more baking; and with the grocery prices today, I've been tempted to bake more!

Esteemed Contributor

Agree, @SharkE , SMEG rules!  But,  sale on KA site, free shpg and discount applied is you sign up with email address - so tempting as I've been checking Q and other sites for a while but SMEG is expensive but makes a great product.