Honored Contributor

Not lately, but years ago we had a Borzoi (Russian wolfhound) whose head was higher than table height.  One of the kids left a Costco size bottle of maple syrup (in a glass bottle) on the edge of the kitchen table.  Sasha knocked the bottle off the table and onto the tile floor, which resulted in a glass encrusted sticky, syrupy mess that took hours to clean up.

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl  I did almost the exact same thing except I had just finished mixing my nectar for the hummingbirds.  My hubby was also in the kitchen and moved my pitcher out of his way while I had my back turned to him.  I quickly turned around and there it went, an entire pitcher of nice sticky sugar water, oh what fun that morning was Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Gizmogirl   My story is similar.  Many years ago while still living at home, my parents had gone out for the evening and I decided to have a glass of Diet Pepsi from a 2-liter bottle.  I was standing in the middle of the kitchen and was untwisting the cap when the bottle slipped from my hand and landed on the floor.  It foamed up and DP was spewing all over because the bottle was spinning on the floor (like the game, "Spin the Bottle").  

It took me forever to clean it up and I was so proud of myself thinking my parents will never know.  They came home and mom immediately asked what happened as she spotted several dried up spots of DP that I had missed.  I always called her Hawkeye and this is just one example of why I gave her that name.   LOL!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I just wanted to make this suggestion for cleaning up broken glass.  Use a heavy grocery sack for the broken pieces before putting them into the trash.  Then you won't have sharp pieces poking through the plastic trash bag.  

Respected Contributor

DH once bought that 2 pack plastic gallons of milk (they don't sell them attached this way anymore I think because of THIS). He was bringing them into the kitchen and the attached plastic thingie broke and 2 gallons of milk broke open on my kitchen floor....under the stove, fridge etc. What a GIANT mess! Took forever to clean up and still had a stinky bad milk smell days later. He was so mad he went back and the store gave him money back (for milk) and a floor cleaner to bring home to help with the mess. They stopped offering that 2 gallon pack right after this so I think we weren't the only ones to experience a milk tidal wave.

Valued Contributor

Oh, brother, can I ever relate to that! I think it's because DH doesn't ever do the dishes. Maybe it's just a normal "man" thing. I am grateful for the cooking though.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish there was a way to post this anonymously because I hate to own up to this, which happened Tuesday night.

Ingredients:  Me, a knife, and a bag of jalapenos.

I have cleaned these types of peppers many times without gloves with no harm done.  I thought all jalapenos were created equally hot???  Although the bag did say hot and had flames on it.

About halfway through the bag, my left hand started burning, to put it mildly, so I abandoned the rest of the bag and started tending to my hand which truly felt like it had been set on fire.  The right (knife) hand wasn't too bad, just the finger tips were burning.  I soaked in cold water and that felt better for a while, then Goggled it and the recommendation that made sense to me was to wash my hands with water as hot as I could tolerate, so I used Dawn, hot water, and a Sponge Daddy to clean the remaining oil off my hands, and the scrubbing felt better than the burning did.  It was like that for about 5 hours before it subsided enough for me to fall asleep.

I was amazed in the morning to find that my hands looked normal, I really expected them to be covered in blisters.  Both hands felt fine in the morning, but out of the blue last night, my right hand started to burn when I put it under hot water.  All has settled down now, except some sensitivity in my finger tips.  

(Don't judge me🌶.)😊  I'm not a cook, I only pretend to be one when entering the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

I've had some doozies!

One time, speaking of oil (thankfully no glass too - YIKES!), I went through a phase with small and medium sized deep fryers.   One time I had taken the container out and sealed it up and was putting it in the refrigerator after it had cooled.  Well, being the klutz I am, somehow I fumbled it off the shelf and onto the kitchen floor it went.

Oil every-freakin-where!  Under the refrigerator (argh), under the stove.   Just awful.  I wanted to just sell the house and move.  Smiley Very Happy

One time I forgot to take the guts out of the turkey when I was very young making my first one.   Found that seared bag about halfway through.   d'oh!

One time, when we used to rent this little house that had such a small kitchen it was just a little strip.   The stove was on one side and the sink on the other.  I took a pot of pasta in one hand and the colander in the other and as I turned around to take it to the sink, I poured the pasta into the colander mid-stream.  Hot water all over me and the floor.   But the pasta was ok.  Smiley Happy  kind of a lose-win deal I guess.

Respected Contributor

Wow! Some of these stories are way worse than mine. We had just moved into our new house with all tile floors. I was taking a pan of lasagna (stoneware pan) out of the oven and dropped it on the tile floor. Noodles and tomato sauce everywhere along with broken shards of the dish. New kitchen floor baptized with cheese and tomato saucs! And it broke a tile.