Trusted Contributor

Re: KITCHEN GARBAGE DISPOSAL - DO YOU USE IT?

@icezeus Ebay is where i got mine. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Thanks for the information.  I can live with orange scent.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Mr. Scrappy can be found on the Big A - I just searched and found it with no problem.

@LonestarBabs 

I swear that I searched earlier and I did not see this. I have just checked again and yep it's there. I might have been looking for the Blue packaging, and glossed over it. 

Honored Contributor

I do have a resturant quality disposal.  I put most things down it except the pealings of a bag of carrots for pot roast, or a bunch of potato peelings, which will back up on you and get caught somewhere in the middle of your pipes causing a maintanence repair.

I put a double paper towel in one side of the sink, and the peels are easy to put in the trash.

Esteemed Contributor

I have one but use it only to get the water out of our very large sink when draining needs a little help.  I used to live in an area that did not want any home to use one so I have never gotten in the habit of putting food in mine.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Yes! I use mine for scraps, and deodorize it regularly.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

I use mine at least once a day and put most everything down it including potato peels. I just make sure to put a little down at a time and let the water run in between and afterwards. Scraps that can't go down the disposal (banana peels, meat bones, etc.) are thrown in the freezer until trash day.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

Just renovated my kitchen and put in a new huge sink, garbage disposal, and disposal "button".I didn't know what that was since I previously had a wall switch for disposal. Neat and convenient.

Like many, I scrap dishes into trash before washing and put peeled scraps into trash. Use disposal for small remnants.

Honored Contributor

I start the water running and the disposal running, then I quickly rinse plates to get any larger pieces or leftovers on the plate into the sink and down the disposal it goes. And I want the plates wet when they go in the dishwasher.  But it is strictly a rinse, not washing them. 

Except of course bones or something like that.  But otherwise, what's left over goes down the drain if not into the fridge.  I let the disposal and water run until it is all clear and you can hear all the scraps have gone through the disposal.

Valued Contributor

I use mine to put my thoughts of my ex-husbands shenanigans to shred/grind them up and wash away. Sorry, I couldn't resist. 😮😎