Esteemed Contributor

Re: KITCHEN GARBAGE DISPOSAL - DO YOU USE IT?

Something else, that I consider a drawback to the disposer - it takes up a lot of room underneath the sink, which could be storage.

A plumber told me once that small things can easily bypass the unit and get directly into the plumbing lines.  I'm sure it depends in part on the construction of the home - I know my drain line doesn't have a tremendous amount of pitch and has to travel a distance before exiting the house - room for cloggage!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Mr. Scrappy Garbage Disposal Brush at Menards®

Yes we use it daily and clean it when dirty, Mr..scrappy with a little dawn dishwashing soap works great. 

Honored Contributor

Never used it when I had one,  Don't know what it's for.  Glad I don't have one now.

Honored Contributor

yes I use mine everyday---never had one in the house we built in 1986--covenants would not allow it--so it's kind of a luxury for me--Am in an apartment now--I am very careful about what goes down there--and always make sure to clean it---have some disposal foam from Fuller that works very well---

Honored Contributor

It shows you how different we all are for sure.  I cannot imagine having one and not using it.  Ours runs several times every day. 

Respected Contributor

Yes. Daily. I have a covered composter that can be rotated by DH. I always take potato peels out to it. They have been an item that no matter the power of disposal makes it back up in my experience. 

I always use the disposal for the little bits and pieces that cannot be composted and attract bugs if not done away with  , also the hardened pieces of moist cat food that dries fast on cat food dishes ( they are princesses that like the gravy best !) I sure want that out of my sink. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

Yes we use it daily and clean it when dirty, Mr..scrappy with a little dawn dishwashing soap works great. 

@deb5555 

Where can you find Mr. Scrappy. I searched on my favorite site Amazon and it's not listed. I currently use "Plink" which are just deodorizers, I would prefer if I could scrub it with something like this. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use mine many times per day.  I love not having food garbage.  I never had one until we remodeled out kitchen in 2002. Now I would not - could not - be without one.  

I use the dishwasher nightly too.

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

I have one of those!  It's great the way they shape it so you can get down there and then, on the way back up, clean the under side of that rubber gasket thingy.  Smiley Happy   I put a little dish soap around the top of that circular part for that.    It seems like I got it at QVC years ago and it came with some other stuff but darned if I can remember the rest of that story.

I use the garbage disposal, but not constantly.   I have very little food waste and most things, like when I'm cleaning produce (rinds, seeds, etc). goes into the trash.

Trusted Contributor

Mr. Scrappy can be found on the Big A - I just searched and found it with no problem.