Honored Contributor

Re: KITCHEN GARBAGE DISPOSAL - DO YOU USE IT?

[ Edited ]

I don't use it like it's described in the initial post. It's definitely not a regular thing for every scrap. I'm not even sure it was ever meant for that.

It's convenient for bits that accidentally go down the drain that haven't made it to the garbage. 

It's definitely not an either/or proposition.

ETA: Back in the day, when I was younger, stronger, and more flexible, I personally, with my own hands, twice replaced a garbage disposal unit. It took me longer than it would a plumber but was a nice sense of accomplishment.

Darn autoimmune condition, causing joint damage. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I don't use it like it's described in the initial post. It's definitely not a regular thing for every scrap. I'm not even sure it was ever meant for that.

It's convenient for bits that accidentally go down the drain that haven't made it to the garbage. 

It's definitely not an either/or proposition.

@GingerPeach  That is how I use mine...I scrape all food into the trash, but the disposal gets the bits and pieces that go down the drain. In fact, I had a plumber who was out at the house clearing a clogged drain tell me to never put  lots food down the disposal ...it is a sure way to clog your drains....I did not know that and learned my lesson!

Esteemed Contributor

@CJC

Lucky you. In 1955 we washed our own dishes and had an outdoor compost pile .

Esteemed Contributor

No.  That junk clogs up the pipes and may cause a problem for our pressure sewer system.

On the rare occasion that something gets down there, then I run it but generally I do not use mine.  I put lemon sections down once in awhile to freshen it.

Dogs are really great for cleaning plates.  As are paper towels.  I freeze some greasy things and put out for the trash man.  I compost, as well, vegetable things.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

My condo rules require that I have a functioning garbage disposal, otherwise I'd have had it removed and the plumbing revised when the last one died. I can't sell the unit without it though. so I just bought the cheapest model that my plumber recommended and had that installed. I do run it a couple of times a week, usually with just some lemon or lime slices thrown in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We use ours seveal times a day.  I would hate being without one.  It keeps us from attracting varmints in the trash.  

We do that and we run our dishwasher every night, even if it is a quick wash, we do it every night and empty it in the morning.

To me those two things keep the kitchen clean and ready to use.  

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I use mine regulary.  I have 3 sinks in my kitchen, 2 have a disposal.  Even though I scrape and wipe plates before washing, I still use the disposal.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  Plumber also told me lemon rids are bad for plumbing AND garbage disposals.  I buy citrisolve  which is concentrated orange extract to use in the disposal for cleaning and smells.7F44A4EA-6C8B-40CD-ACF1-8B90505927A8.png

Respected Contributor

I use mine daily.

Honored Contributor

I didn't have one for a very long time, due to the possible issues regarding septic systems.  When I remodeled my last home, the contractor said it wouldn't interfere.  I got one and used it sparingly.  

In my current home (also with a septic system) the HOA doesn't allow them.  I don't miss it at all.  No rodents can get into my trash.  In this day and age, don't we all have trash receptacles that are animal-proof?