Respected Contributor

Re: KITCHEN GARBAGE DISPOSAL - DO YOU USE IT?

I've replaced the garbage disposal in my house at least twice. I'm building a new house now and told the builder "no" garbage disposal. I never want one again.

Esteemed Contributor

I use mine several times a day and will always have one.  (I do not have a septic system).  It goes hand in hand with my new dishwasher since it is recommended to scrape large food particles, don't rinse dishes just put in dishwasher.  Improved washing pods and the friction in the dishwasher leave my dishes absolutely spotless.  Pots and pans too. No smelly garbage.  And I conserve water.

Honored Contributor

I do use a disposal.  I don't put  bunch of carrot or potato  peals in  (what a terrible back up), or fat, but small things.  It's quite handy.  

I hate the issues with a compost pile!!!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I do use a disposal.  I don't put  bunch of carrot or potato  peals in  (what a terrible back up), or fat, but small things.  It's quite handy.  

I hate the issues with a compost pile!!!

Exactly. I always put plate scaping in the disposal but never put big, bulky things like potato peels, nor do I put fat in the drain. I don't want old food smelling up the trash can.

Honored Contributor

Once when a repair man came to install a new garbage disposal he told us that you should never put anything down the disposal that you couldn't eat! So I don't.

I always read that you shouldn't put coffee grounds down it I thought why?

Well, I discovered why when I had to retrieve pieces of a tiny metal spoon that had fallen down and been ground up-there was lots of black sludge and I thought what in the world?! Well yes that is what the coffee grounds do. Just sit there

as black sludge.

I use it just to clean out anything I didn't get to scrape off in the garbage. I don't really like them either.

I clean it and the drain with baking soda and vinegar and sometimes dish liquid. I've read to put an ice cube down once in awhile too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We put all sorts of things in ours and it eats it fine. Half of a squeezd lemon has no problem, carrot peelings, potato peelings (not baked half shells), and about anything else. We rinse plates off and in that stuff goes.

We don't put hard dried out lemon halves in, or the strings off of celery, but it eats about everything else.  We do run a lot of water in afterward and run it until we hear that all the stuff has been ground and put through and there is enough water after that for it to not clog up.  

I do recommend getting a good brand with the biggest hp motor that will work for your house.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  Plumber also told me lemon rids are bad for plumbing AND garbage disposals.  I buy citrisolve  which is concentrated orange extract to use in the disposal for cleaning and smells.7F44A4EA-6C8B-40CD-ACF1-8B90505927A8.png

A plumber once told me that too.  Does this product come in a lemon or lime version?

We didn't have one in our rental for the last 3 years.  The house we bought has one but I'm still in the habit of wiping off the plates in the trash and putting in the DW.  I use it very infrequently for bits and pieces that get in the sink. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I use it. Mostly for bits that are still on plates and bowls after I've put scraps into the trash can. I use a product called PLINK to clean the disposal every now and  then -- it's a gel ball with citrusy scent that freshens it and removes scum. Drop it in, run hot water, and turn on the disposal. After a minute or two, shut off the disposal but keep the hot water running for another minute. Got PLINK at Bed Bath and Beyond. I replaced the disposal a few years ago with a model that had a more powerful motor but it's quiet.

Esteemed Contributor

I use it at least once a day. I scrape food of my plate into my trash can, but I am a person that rinses all of her items off before putting them in the dishwasher. Whatever little pieces, normally a little bits of sauce or crumbs, that are left goes down the garbage disposal.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  Plumber also told me lemon rids are bad for plumbing AND garbage disposals.  I buy citrisolve  which is concentrated orange extract to use in the disposal for cleaning and smells.7F44A4EA-6C8B-40CD-ACF1-8B90505927A8.png

A plumber once told me that too.  Does this product come in a lemon or lime version?

We didn't have one in our rental for the last 3 years.  The house we bought has one but I'm still in the habit of wiping off the plates in the trash and putting in the DW.  I use it very infrequently for bits and pieces that get in the sink. 

@Bridgegal  No, just the one version. Orange. I find the best price for the small bottle is at Chewy.com right now.  When. I use it( about weekly) I pour about two tablespoons into the disposal, and turn it on...then let it sit for about a half hour...then add a small amount of water and turn on again. That pretty much cleans all the grease buildup from the blades and the inside of the disposal.