Honored Contributor

KITCHEN GARBAGE DISPOSAL - DO YOU USE IT?

As far back as I can recall, there has always been one in the sinks I've had.   Years ago I stopped using mine after reading an article about conserving energy or some such thing. 

The point was made that they are basically unnecessary ... if your power is out, are you going to stack up the plates with gunk on them and wait for the power to go on, or just scrape the plates and wash?   What did everyone do before disposals?  They got along just fine.  

I know some people use their disposals constantly .... I don't.    Do you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: KITCHEN GARBAGE DISPOSAL - DO YOU USE IT?

That is one thing DH didn't want us to have. I've never had one.

Honored Contributor

We took ours out but we just put in a new kitchen with a disposal. We have always wiped our plates off in the trash with a paper towel. There are still food particles on the dishes. We don't put much in there but think it's better to turn it on when cleaning dishes. 

At least this one is not as noisy as the other one we had.

Respected Contributor

I use my disposal quite a bit.  I think the power conservation issue is unimportant as it just runs for a few minutes.   The dish scraping is not what I use the disposal for.  I use it for getting rid of wet soppy foods that are hard to get rid of otherwise.  If put in the trash they often leak through, however carefully I try to wrap them up.

Where I grew up there were no disposals. As I lived on my own I discovered them in other states and they do make life easier.

Honored Contributor

I never use mine.

Esteemed Contributor

use mine every day....hate smelly trash!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Certainly I use it; that's what it's there for.  

Honored Contributor

I don't use mine either; it's unnecessary.

Honored Contributor

I use it several times a day.  I don't like throwing food in the trash.  It smells and attracts rodents.   I wouldn't want to be without one 

Trusted Contributor

Been using one several times a day for 53 years. Growing up, there was both a disposal and a dishwasher in the house my parents purchased in 1955. I'd give up my dishwasher before I'd give up my garbage disposal.