Contributor

Check KA on Amazon, the outlet section of their website, and Kitechen Collection, and Ohio based store found at outlet centers.  You can probably get a refurbished 7 cheaper.  After meeting a rep several years ago at a department store, I check there first.  20 years later, my blender is still goign strong, as are the other KA countertop appliances.  

A few months ago, a refurbished 7 was $299 on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

My old KA mixer (30+? years) is still chugging away and working well, but if something happens to it, I'll be exploring some of the other options out there. Quite a few Chinese makes have hit the market with good reviews and Farberware has a nice looking mixer with 600 watts at Wal-Mart for around $100. It's becoming an interesting market for big mixer buyers. You have lots of very well reviewed options available these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I was surfing Friday, or yesterday, and went by HSN.  Wolfgang Puck had a 6 quart mixer for aroudn 4150, but it was the oddest thing I've ever seen.

It was like a bunt pan.  It fit on a base, and then, the mixer attachments snapped into the center.  There was a plastic lid to prevent the flour and sugar from exploding, though, they forgot the lid, and it did make a mess.  

Bosch makes one, and I know people who ahve it, and use it almost every day for dough.

I was also at Sears, and they had some attachments, not made by KitchenAid. 

However, it had been a while since I'd looked around the KA site, and they have one that measures, and sifts.  Best hint I was ever give was to get a scale, and measure your recipe, jotting down the weights.  Then, tare the KA bowl, and just add directly to the bowl.

Honored Contributor

Are the KA mixers as heavy as they were years ago. My artisan bowl lift KA is 30 years old and is very heavy.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Are the KA mixers as heavy as they were years ago. My artisan bowl lift KA is 30 years old and is very heavy.

Yes, they are still heavy. LOL!

Contributor

Re: KA mixer question

[ Edited ]

My 5 quart lift is heavy, and the new 7 quart one is heavy.  I also have the 16 c KA food processor, and it is as heavy as the mixer.  I wanted it because of the dicing.  They almost have to be if you don't want them dancing all over the counter.  I've wondered about the new smaller mixer, although, one is doing smaller amount. 

I guess the weight never bothered me because I don't really move them.  

Respected Contributor

Re: KA mixer question

[ Edited ]

we had the artisan .325 watt tilt mixer we bought like 12 years ago. we found that it couldnt handle double batches of cookie dough and bowl wasnt big enough to handle it either. last december qvc had a great deal on the bowl lift mixer and it has 625 watt motor. it handles those double batches of cookie dough and anything else you want it to do .i know you said you dont want a bowl lift but if you bake alot its worth it. my wife last christmas did 14 different kinds of cookiea and we both love it. so good luck with whatever you decide. we got it from qvc last december on clearence and got it for 199.99.

Contributor

@Pooky1  The 7 quart is 1.3 HORSEPOWER, which is one reason I got it.  I tend to do large batches of things, because I cook one freeze 2.  During the holidays, I do 10 lbs of mashed potatoes.  I had a plan.  Cook for Thursday and heat up for the week-end.  So, the plan is hot turkey sandwiches by Saturday.  I had to do them in two batches with my 5 quart.

I also do large batches of cookie dough, then scoop it out, and freeze the dough balls.  Then, my husband can pull out a few and make chocolate chip, snicker doodles, etc. 

BTW, currently, it is $399 on the KA side, and $397.5, prime, on Amazon, for the refurbished one.  There are more color choices on the KA site.

That said, I'm keeping my 5 quart.  The ice cream attachment for the 7 quart only makes 2 wuarts, so I see no reason to purchase it, when I own it for the 5 quart.  And, unless you don't want to go nuts, you need two, or at least an Atlas, to do pasta.

I burned up my first 5 wuart doing cinnamon rolls so I've not done dough.  But, I'm going to try it with the 7 quart. 

My husband talks horsepower with the car.  I talk it with the mixer.  It's important to have common interests in a marriage.