Honored Contributor

Has anyone upgraded from the Ultra Power to the Artisan?  I've had my Ultra Power (300 watt) for a long time but have always found that it sort of struggles with cookie dough.  Many times I have thought about replacing it with the Artisan, but haven't done it yet.  Do the 325 watts make much of a difference?  I really am not interested in the lift-bowl style, so if I replace my machine it will be with another tilt-head.

TIA. Woman Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My KA stand tilt head mixer is under 300 watts and it is over 35 years old.  It does not struggle with any heavy dough.  I often make two batches of,chocolate chip cookies with no problem at all.

If your does, it sounds faulty to me.  Something doesn't sound right.  I would call KA and talk to them about it.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon  I have had both--an ultra power cobalt one bought in 1992, and an Artisan bought about 6 years ago simply for the color change.  I sold the blue one at a garage sale and a lady parked in front of the house at 5:30 to get it!

Back on the topic.  I didn't see that much difference, but the REAL difference is the large bowl lift 6 quart.  That one is a workhorse!  I got it a long time ago on a flash sale Williams-Sonoma had. And the dough hook on it is different, so the dough doesn't climb up the hook.  Maybe the smaller ones have the different hook now too, I don't know. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner @Carmie  Thank you both for the input.  

Sooner, Costco has the 6qt lift bowl for the same price as the Q is selling the Artisan (not that I'd ever buy it from the Q.)  It's a 590 watt machine!!! Woman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

I've had my KA Artisan for years and absolutely love it! I purchased it at Amazon because at the time, that was the only place you could get a cobalt one. (I'm very glad that color has made a comeback in the KA inventory.) I am constantly surprised at the power of the motor and all the mixer can do. I would definitely recommend the tilt-head over the bowl-lift version; my friends who have the latter always wish they had the former, and we all agree that the tilt-head is more streamlined and attractive.

Good luck with your decision! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Sooner @Carmie  Thank you both for the input.  

Sooner, Costco has the 6qt lift bowl for the same price as the Q is selling the Artisan (not that I'd ever buy it from the Q.)  It's a 590 watt machine!!! Woman Surprised

@faeriemoon  That's a great price!  I know a lot of people don't like the lift bowl but I like that one far better and if I had to give one up it would be the tilt head.   I find it sturdier, to me the bowl is easier to get on securely, it holds more and has more power, and the head is rock solid.  I like that the bowl is wider too.  After I used it a few times I never think about using the up and down leaver to raise the bowl.  That's no problem at all.  And I don't usually lower it to scrape things either. 

But that's just me.  

Honored Contributor

One other thing about the bowl lift:  IF it fits under your cabinets, you don't have to pull it out as far as the tilt head because you have to get that head far enough to go all the way back, and you have to remember to lock the head (don't laugh!  I'm old! ha ha)

Respected Contributor

For those who are interested in a really heavy duty version Williams Sonoma has the 7Qt lift bowl style (1.3HP or about 1000 watts) for $599. I keep getting email offers for 25% off which would make this one $450 - a really good deal if you ask me. I already have this mixer or I would get it myself! It is great for really big batches of bread dough.

Also, on another thread, there was a discussion about the QVC version of the Anniversary model (in light blue) being imported - it didn't say from where. Anyway the version from WS says amde in USA.

Contributor

I haev the 7 qt, an upgrade from a 5 qt lift, that I purchased about 18 or so years ago.  Do't even go to the 6 if you are thinking of upgrading. 

KA sells refurbished ones on Amazon, and in the outlet section of their website.  They also sell them through a store called Kitchen Collection.  Most of the time, they are ones that have been used on photo shoots, per a KA rep I met in a department store. THe rep had also advised me to ignore the original pasta plates, an add on to the meat grinder, as something that would burn up your mixer.  

Also, bowls and other things can be purchased through searspartsdirect.com, for less money than anywhere else.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the 7 qt.  I had a Kitchen Aid rep tell me to ignore the pasta extruder, as it could purn out the motor, but with this one, I have no worries.  It handles 10 lbs of mashed potatoes during the holidays, cookie dough, and anything else.  

I burned up one 5 quart lift, the top of its line at the time, making cinnamon rolls, so I've never done dough, but the 7 seems to handle it without ever getting warm.

Also, despite what KitchenAid claims, your mixer does not have to be EVERYTHING.   Remember that when you look at the attachments.

Also, you need two pasta machines to not have a meltdown.  You need to run dough through the roller, then move to another machine, or change the attachment, to make whatever noodle size you want, which is frustrating.  And, why I'm keeping my 5 qt.  Also, size matters.  The ice cream attachment for the 7 qt is 2 quarts, and a different shape from the 5 qt.  The water bath does not fit the 7 qt.

In the end, it depends on how much it is used.  Mine, boith now, sit on my very limited condo counter, and the hand mixer I got at the same time has never left the box.  My sister doesn't like things on her counter, and her HA stand mixer is still in the box.  If it isn't convenient, you will not use it.  

If you are thinking upgrade, skip the 6, and get a refurbished 7.  Frankly, I'd start out with a 7 if you are thinking about one.  It is better to grow into one than to outgrow one.

Contributor

I take mine in to a shop in the area that cleans and oils them for $25, as well as checking on warn parts, etc.  I know there are people who do nothing to them, ever, but I have my car maintanenced, so why not an expensive kitchen appliance?.  I take it ever 3 years or so. fpr what I call the spa treatment.  Cleaned, oiled, massaged, polished....