Honored Contributor

KA - Is the lift bowl mixer superior to the tilt head design?

Those of you who have had both... is there a reason the bowl lift design is better?

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: KA - Is the lift bowl mixer superior to the tilt head design?

Hey house-cat, I prefer the lift bowl model because I find it easier to scrape down and because it manages heavier mixes like double-batch quickbreads and meatloaf with ease.  It did take some getting used to, like all things I suppose.  Woman Happy 

I am relieved to see that KA's standard coated attachments are being offered with this model now.  When I ordered mine from Amazon it came with cool-looking but awful gunmetal-finished beater and dough hook attachments that schmutzed all over the place -- on my fingers, in the batter, eck, what a mess!  I chucked them and use my better beater all the time.

I think the retail comparison being made might be a wee bit inflated but this is still a great deal.  And some of the colors offered today are abolutely gorgeous as well.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

IMO ABSOLUTELY!!!!

As I said in another post -- I owned this mixer for many years -- its a workhorse!!!  If you do big batches, bread or heavy doughs, etc. -- the motor can handle it (525 w vs. 325 w on artisan) and more importantly, it is stable.  I will say -- I'm tempted as this is a great price ... I paid over $500 for mine w/no extras or flex beater.

Also, I loved the "lift feature" -- easy to add ingredients and a wider bowl. 

I sold mine as I had one of those moments that I said "Oh its so heavy (I have to keep mine in pantry doesn't fit under cabinets) and I don't make big batches anymore!

It sold in a hour when I posted it on NextDoor (that lady knew a good deal!) ... then I replaced it with "Artisan tilt-head w/glass bowl" ... HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT....doesn't have the power or mixing ability my Pro 600 had.  And the BOWL is so cumberson and heavy -- I can barely "lift it" when I need to pour something.  

I've only used it a couple of times -- last week I made pumpkin nut bread -- ugh...the mixer was jumping all over the counter.  Don't know what was worse ... the drag of the motor OR trying to figure out how to get it to stop moving...(finally put silicone pad under it).

I ordered a SS bowl from Amazon for it.  Hoping this will make the difference in how I feel about this tilt head.  

If I had a buyer I'd buy this PRO 600 in a minute!!! OR if my spouse wouldn't see it get delivered (he'd think I lost my mind) I'd buy it!  Then again, I just might I will pick the Almond.

If you buy it I think you'll love it!!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, ladies. I've often wondered why it was superior.  I have the tilt head with the glass bowl and it's plenty powerful for me, but someday I'll pass it on to one of my kids and get the bowl lift style.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_catI prefer the bowl lift and purchased from the Q when it was a TSV (maybe November 2009?).  There is a learning curve because when you first get it it seems hard to put the bowl on the pins and slide over the latch at the back of the holder's "neck"  to secure it but it's really not hard to do once you've used the mixer a few times so everything is not as stiff.  

The booklet explains every feature extremely well;  I just had to calm down, take my time and go step by step.  

It handles stiffer doughs and larger quantities of things but there's no trouble with smaller batches.  I have the 5 quart in almond and love it.  Can't justify buying today's special value on the Q since there's nothing wrong with mine, which has been handling all my needs for several years.

When I ordered mine it didn't have the flat edged beater (don't think Kitchen Aid had created it yet) so I purchased that separately later.  That is one nifty gadget.  I use the power hub for the meat grinder attachment, which I also purchased separately.

I know there are many that love the tilt head, but you have to pull it out from under the cabinets to use it anyway so I'd rather have the power and capacity of the lift style.

Before I bought this I was mixing my holiday cookie dough by hand with a wooden spoon since I burnt through several cheap hand held mixers and was tired of that!

For quick jobs I bought a 9 speed Kitchen Aid hand held mixer from Q and that has held up well, too. 

Frequent Contributor

I do not think you can get any better than Kitchenaid. I purchased my K45 model back in 1970s,,at the time my husband had to get a purchase order from his employer and took it to the Hobart manufacturer in South San Francisco, Ca..cost $300 at the time,,was a major purchase for us..Long story short,,I just replaced it after 40 some years,,because I HATE WHITE..I purchased same model as this works for me,,in a beautiful ORANGE,,and love it,,probably will outlive me,,. I have all the attachments that were ever made,,have ground my own meat,,chopped cabbage for cole slaw,,ground veggies for stuffing, made pasta,,etc..I love this machine,,If you buy quality like Kitchenaid you will never regret it..Also have the strainer attachment and have made jams etc..

This is a great value as mine, 40 yrs ago was the same price..

Honored Contributor

I would expect that bowl lift machine to be better, but for my purposes I really love my tilt head.  I had to buy the glass bowl separately along with the scraping beater, but I prefer that over the stainless bowl for most things.  I happen to find it quite easy to tilt the head to add ingredients or scape down the bowl if I need to although the scraper beater minimizes the need for that.  I don't do large heavy batches, so it's perfect for me.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1I think you and I have the same mixer -  and I also find the glass bowl is too heavy for me to handle well.  Please, please -  when tou try "our" mixer with the stainless steel bowl, let us know how that works for you. 

I've been wondering if I'd use my KA more if the darn bowl weren't so awkward for me   Lots of times, I just old my ancient hand mixer instead.

Respected Contributor

When I first got my Pro 600 bowllift, I was a little disappointed... After all, we are so USED to seeing the tilthead mixers, on all the TV shows, cookbooks, magzines, and really everyone I know had one... I looked at it and wondered how this leviathaon had beached itself on my kitchen counter...

Well, I have never regretted it..It is Huge, it is heavy duty, it is a beast for sure..There is nothing this workhorse will not do- the bowl lift is easy to use, and the huge bowl is surpisingly light...

Mine cost, 15 years ago, almost double what this one is today_ 

My only regret? the only color available back then was white......

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I would expect that bowl lift machine to be better, but for my purposes I really love my tilt head.  I had to buy the glass bowl separately along with the scraping beater, but I prefer that over the stainless bowl for most things.  I happen to find it quite easy to tilt the head to add ingredients or scape down the bowl if I need to although the scraper beater minimizes the need for that.  I don't do large heavy batches, so it's perfect for me.

I agree with you 100%. I gave away a tilt head, to get this monstrousity, I've used it twice, because getting the bowl in the screws then attaching it to some clip in the back,is nothing short of a nightmare. I hate this machine. I used to make a honey poppyseed dressing that made a full bowl, and wouldn't even dream of it with this one, I'd be wearing it. I will get a tilt head soon.