Super Contributor

Re: KA - Is the lift bowl mixer superior to the tilt head design?

[ Edited ]

@HLPI know what you mean with the bowl and the screws!!

I struggled with it too, impossible to get the bowl to line up with the screws but then FINALLY figured out that there is a trick to it or a way to do it that is easy but, because I hardly use the machine at all, I have forgotten what it is but believe me it's not as hard as that if you figure it out, just play with it before you give it away.

They really should take the time to show that on TV, how to put the bowl on, instead they go right in to the recipes and talk about the beaters.

I just clicked on the manual link on the TSV page and it shows how to put on the bowl, you have to push it back on the little spring latch, see step 2 in the instruction manual.

I think that was the trick, once you know it , it's easy.

First push bowl back then bowl and pins will line up, Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

As far as superiority, I think it depends more on your needs. Are you wanting to make big batches? The 6qt is definetly a big machine.

Respected Contributor

One thing to note...

They go on and on about the quality of the MOTOR, but in my case, the bowl lift mechanism is the weak point, and it IS cheap.

I can no longer "lift" the bowl with the lift lever. Mine is at least 20 years old, and I don't use it often because I am now single, and don't need large batches. You would think something made 20 years ago would have had better internal parts, but mine did not.

There are great instructions on You Tube how to disassmble the machine to get to the bowl lift mechanism, which I may do one day this winter. Those parts are very cheaply made, but look easy to replace.

When I COULD use mine, it was great. It IS heavy, so hopefully you won't have to lift it too many times! And the bowl attachment is tricky, but doable with a little practice!

The bowl lift parts are behind that lift lever. You have to remove the top and the motor to get to it to fix.

THis is a GREAT price, as long as they have improved the lift mechanism. And the coated beaters are a WHOLE lot better than the grey metal ones I got with mine. I think I paid over $500. for mine in 1998.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Bigger batches, sturdier, bowl locks securely on 3 points, dough hook is better, more power, don't have to tilt head or head doesn't fall forward sometimes when tileted back, my 6 qt. fit under cabinets, tilt head didn't when head tilted, easier to put in ingredients with wide bowl, raising and lowering the bowl is automatic after you've used it some time.

I would never go back to the tilt head for my only mixer.   I got a tilt head 26 years ago, got the bowl lift maybe 10 years later, and it is an amazing kitchen helper!  Always!  

Trusted Contributor

I like my tilt head KA when doing smaller batches of batter, but do you my bowl lift one for my big batches of cookies.  I prefer my tilt head mixer most of the time.

Trusted Contributor

I had the same problem with the gunmetal colored beaters they  totally sucked.  After wondering what all the grey stain in my batter and fingers was from I finally realized it was the beater so I got rid of them and ordered the coated ones too !!!

Respected Contributor

we had the tilt design for 10 years and when my wife started doing alot of christmas cookies it couldnt handle a double batch of cookie dough. it wasnt big or powerful enough. if you dont make alot of dough and double batches of cookies then tilt mixer will be fine but big dough batches and double cookies batches then bowl lift is the way to go, tilt has 325 watts of power and bowl lift has 575 watts of power. hugh difference.we got it last december on a clerence price of 199.99 on qvc. we jumped at it for the price it was worth it. and we both love it.the mixer there offering today comes with a metal bowl wich is good. ours came with the glass bowl and i like it just afraid if we drop it. what ever you decide good luck and let us know what you decide on and what you think when you get it.

Respected Contributor

homedecor1. im sure if you put your tilt mixer to sell it i bet it will sell fast to.i cant picture going back to a tilt after the bowl lift but we started off with a tilt.

Contributor

I have had both the lift and tilt. Ihad the lift first and hated it. I found it so cumbersome to have to lift the bowl down each time to add something. I guess after a while you get used to it but I never did. There was also never enough room to scrape the bowl down and taking out the paddle was messy too,  I sold that one and got the tilt which I love. I find it very easy to use. Just tilt back to add and tilt back down to start mixing. Also removing the paddle is very easy. Now believe me I was so tempted to buy the Pro 600 due to the price and that beautiful pink color but then I remember my old black lift and say No Way!! I will just wait until they have the tilt head on TSV and grab a new fabulous color. I now have thegloss cinnamon with the glass bowl. I also do not bake a lot so the 325 watt is okay. So far mine has done everything I brought it for.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

When I first got my Pro 600 bowllift, I was a little disappointed... After all, we are so USED to seeing the tilthead mixers, on all the TV shows, cookbooks, magzines, and really everyone I know had one... I looked at it and wondered how this leviathaon had beached itself on my kitchen counter...

Well, I have never regretted it..It is Huge, it is heavy duty, it is a beast for sure..There is nothing this workhorse will not do- the bowl lift is easy to use, and the huge bowl is surpisingly light...

Mine cost, 15 years ago, almost double what this one is today_ 

My only regret? the only color available back then was white......

Hi Tam!  Nice seeing you around here lately.  Smiley Happy

I don't know if this is something you would like, but I use appliance covers in colors I like, when I'm stuck with something that's white (I don't like white at all!).

I don't sew, so I've had some made but for something like a KA stand mixer  there are probably a lot of covers available.   I've either purchased, already-made or custom, covers for all kinds of small and medium-size kitchen appliances.  Most of mine are black, or black with red, because that's what I like most.  Smiley Happy